my band plays a birthday party!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    after rehearsing most of the day yesterday, we packed up the gear into two cars and the van of the birthday-partier and headed to his grandma's house (ground-zero for devan s.: birthday party #18).

i was expecting a large number of high-schoolers to be there...but that wasn't the case. most of the audience was relatives, ranging from middle-schoolers (some younger!) to middle-agers (and grandparents!). my band was a little disappointed....

...and REALLY disconcerted! we played two of our original hard rock numbers (one tool-ish, the other iron-maiden-esque), and we decided to cool it on the heavy stuff. playing the metallic songs was just AWKWARD in someone's living room! :D :(

we were worried that we would be extremely loud and noisy, but the volume actually wasn't so bad! i actually turned my amp up after the second number.

we took a break and were treated to chicken strips and birthday cake (there were two: one with the likeness of spongebob, and another with that of the simpson's martin prince)!

after a little bit of daring, we plugged a mic into my guitarist's poorly grounded (and potentially dangerous!?!) amp and dedicated our original '50s slow-dance tune to the future anniversary of the kid's grandparents. our drummer did the announcement and he kinda forgot one of the names. the audience cued him, and everyone had a laugh (it WAS funny!).

we played a LOT of covers! the list of songs where we knew only one section but played them over and over anyway include

-"ice ice baby"
    -"everybody dance now"
    -"rapper's delight"
    -"the shaft theme" (no wah wah!)

hrmm...i KNOW we played more funny/funky stuff. we know the main riff to "beat it" but we didn't get around to playing it.
    the birthday-kid's older (much older?) sister and...maybe a cousin or something...were the only audience members dancing around a lot. especially to the 80s funk stuff. they were probably drunk.

we also played all of incubus' "new skin," per request.

towards the end, the guitarist's low E string broke! he told us when we were rehearsing that he hopes it doesn't snap, since he regularly drop-tuned and re-tuned it. sure did snap!

we still played for 20 more minutes (well...out of that time we may have only played 7 minutes or so), including a kinda crappy cover of incubus' "warning." (drummer and guitar player=big incubus fans!).

we had to call it quits, though, when the drummer's snare drum head broke!

the joke was that i was glad to have finished before my bass exploded!:D

loading and unloading just isn't any fun. especially with a little car like, say, a honda civic (a 115 and 210 in the back seat? no problem....). but the drum equipment! that's such a pain. a lot of the cymbal hardware is rusted so that the legs don't fold down all the way. that's a real bee-yotch.

a fun time was had by all (afaik!). some of the people made offers for us to play graduation parties and whatnot "because [we] f'n rock!" we asked if they were joking, and in most instances, they weren't!

this wasn't quite the "challenger" i expected. it was just a no-pressure, super-relaxed, kinda awkward show. as a side note-this is the second show i played with this guitar player and drummer (we have no singer).

i can only hope that this is the beginning of "Pre Syzygy" as a gigging band!
  2. hey.... sounds like you guys has fun!!!! and you will have stories to tell for years.

cramming the gear into a civic must be a real 'challenger' as well as catering to an audience like you had....

3. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    reminds me of that commercial, where it shows a glam band (danger kitty!) playing some kid's bar mitzvah!

and about the civic issue: it could've been worse; i could have had to take the drum gear! :eek:

a side note: i'm giving the kid who held the birthday party lessons. well, i like to think of it as "suggestions." i'm just trying my damndest not warp his mind! (well, at least when it comes to this instrument!).

anyone think it'd be a bad idea by playing "red rover" and sending him talkbass-land? i'm kinda ambivalent, myself.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That loading out thing ... my band plays every gig for free. We make 'em pay for the the load-in and out.
  5. That's funny, that's the same thing my band says. Our drummer has even had a bunch of work shirts made up with embroidered patches that say "TwentyFour-7 (our band name) Equipment Moving" that he wears to every gig.
  6. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    We are going to do our first gig at birthday party too, it's due november. It'll also be my first live gig, hope I don't mess anything up :D
  7. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    have fun!

...and don't you DARE mess up! :mad:

ah, what the hell, i'll do an "update":

it's been three weeks since our b-day gig this sunday.

my band hasn't played since!

the plan is we'll be heading down to mars music so that the drummer can finally replace his broken drum head (i had to cancel a bass central pilgrimage with brendan for this...but it's worth it i guess b/c we REALLY need to get it together).

we'll be playing at a pizza place (Cici's...home of the most awful pizzas EVER) in October.

next on the list: a real estate convention!

8. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    you don't know the meaning of embarassing until you play pantera at a coffee house:D
  9. :eek:

how about alice in chains 'man in the box'

at a country bar....

everyone looks at you as if you just shot their dog or something.

we recover by doing some dwight yoakam.

10. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

and it turns out i'm taking the SATs the morning after we would have played our second gig!

well...i have my priorities.