Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My band wanna do a song I hate

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Mar 3, 2005.

1. What hsould I do? It's Everlong by the Foo Fighters.....I think it's boring lame and riffless in simple English. Now, everyone but the drummer likes Nickelback, but the singer complains he can't get sing deep enough for Nickelback...uhhhhhhhh Dave Grohl's voice is pretty damned deep. What shall I do? :confused:

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Compromise, just do it its only 3 minutes or so of your life on stage, and you won't be playing it forever, just deal with it, or maybe rewrite it so it have a funky slap bass all the way through you don't have to do covers how they were played originally, make it into a samba or bossa nova tune would be funny people might like that live.

Hope this helps

3. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    do it anway... my band members sometimes choose songs I don't like much, and I play them (and try and play them well) because

a. it gives you good leverage to get them to do a song YOU like but maybe they don't

b. you might find yourself liking it

being in a band is always about finding a way over hurdles & getting a consensus... so if you value the band, you should try and find a way through it instead of just saying "no"

we tend to say 'well let's just learn it, play it and hear how it comes out'... it'll either sound good or bad... it's surprising how quickly you can make song decisions just by listening to the results (don't be dishonest and deliberately play it badly)...

4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Do it anyway. Part of being a professional or at least acting like one is doing things you don't really like and doing them well anyway. The band I was in was a democracy. If the majority wanted to do the song then we played it.
    If you want total control over the play list then start your own band.
    My .02

5. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    Dude:

You can't always do songs that YOU like, or even MOSTLY. If that's what you want, start your own group.

But frankly if you want to be a success, you have to do lots of stuff you won't personally like and you'll have to listen to other band members' ideas.

How do we choose songs? We specifically have said - your personal taste MEANS ZIP. We will do ONLY these songs:

1. They are well-known
    2. They work (if we get no reaction after 4-5 times playing them out, they get dropped)
    3. We can do it (eg, we have the right instruments, voices, etc).

That's the whole thing. Personal taste? I don't listen to 70% of the songs my band does. But I like when stuff works out live

6. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Good song. With everyone in the band doing their part, that song will rock harder than Nickleback could ever pretend to. It's not about the riffs, Nick, it's about the song as a whole... but I'm sure you knew that.

I think Dave's voice is a bit higher. Why not try playing a NB song at practice, to see how it works out?

Like everyone else said, this is one of those times when you just gotta suck it up. Not much else to it, if you want to be in that band. You should get to choose the next cover you play.

7. Suck it up and play the darn song! Remember that at a gig you are performing for the audience not yourself. Granted we all want to play some tunes the band likes too so my guideline when choosing cover tunes is for every one you pick for the band pick two for the audience.

Cheers,
    Jeff

8. Alright alright, we'll pla the song. But I'm gonna push to get a song I love....you can guess what it is. ;-)

9. Are you sure? It doesn't really have a thundering riff or bassline or anythign that really catches my attention. Plus, Dave and Chad are both gravel mouths, if he ca nsing one, he can sing the other, IMO(and he lvoes nickelback, so I don't get what his problem is!).

10. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    We all have to play songs we don't like. My band has a set list of over 70 songs and there's no way I'm going to like all of them. Try to change it a little to make yourself enjoy it a bit more, like add something to the bass line that gets you rocking. Who knows...you might even start to enjoy playing it.

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Play the song.

12. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    The song is only gonna be as good as you play it. ;) It's definitely simple, and there really aren't any riffs to speak of, but the thing that makes it great is the energy. I've played it a few times with my band, and it went over really well.

As for the singer, I think he just needs to give it a try.

13. I play in a band.

14. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Make a deal with them! my band also coverd that toon and i told them that i would do it if we could open the song with for all the cows. Foos open everlong up with for all the cows alot. And i think you will find that for all the cows has alot more room to play with! Just a idea!

15. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Sorry that would be tune not toon! Been spending alot of time with my kid the last few days because she has been sick! Kinda stuck in kid mode i guess! :eyebrow:

16. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I like that song.......

17. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    One thing you have to get used to in cover bands is that the singer will normally have more input into the material than anyone else and will also more or less have a veto on stuff he/she doesn't like. They can always use the excuse of "I wouldn't be able to/feel comfortable singing that". You can't expect a singer to sing something he/she doesn't feel he can handle or doesn't suit his/her voice.

Do singers ever take advantage of this to selfishly get their own way? Pope, catholicism, bears, woods, sh*t etc. But you will learn with time that, unless they are really abusing the situation it's best to live with it, preferably with a smile on your face.

18. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    yup. Singer has more say in what is played, no doubt.

but it's like anything else. if you can't stand the music, either you gotta quit this band or fire the person who is controlling the music.

Love it or lump it.

Personally I get off when people are digging us - no matter what we are playing. My personal taste? It's irrelevant.

19. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    In my last cover band I hated about 99% of what we did. Just try it and if it doesn't go over well with the crowd, drop it. I found that when the crowd went nuts for a song I began to like it anyway. You may find the same.

20. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Might also do a search and see if you can find a version with a little more active bass lines. I dont use a pic so that song is kinda a finger chewer for me.