My band website

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 74rickbass, Aug 11, 2003.

1. I'm VERY new to website making, I've been working on a website for my band...I've got help from friends, internet and so-forth...Got any suggestions????...please go head, I'm not the kinda guy who gets offended by constuctive critisism.

my site
  2. That actually look quite good. Did you use the page builder on geocities or write out the HTML. How did you go about it? ~ Tyler
  3. Bah. There are 2 problems:

1) Frames are really icky IMO. Very amatuerish and frankly generally very ugly, esspecially when you leave the grey border on.

2) If you do use frames, don't make them so large. That top from is about twice as big as it needs to be, and is an eye sore.

Sorry if it's harsh, but I suggest you ditch the frame and make the menu in the actual pages.
  4. @masamax,
    Thanks for the tips, I was thinking the same thing about the frames, they make it look so cluttered, so, do you think having the menu on every page would be better????

NewBassPlayer66, I did it on HTML
  5. Ok, I'm guessing you did the frames something like this:

FRAMESET rows = "#,#"
    <---The # represents the size of the frame FYI.

Here is something that will eliminate the border problem and make it look cleaner and neater:

FRAMESET rows = "#,*" framespacing = "0" frameborder = "0" border = "0"
    You should know that * tells the frame to take up the rest of the page that the other one doesnt. The # again represents the frame size. The other 3 things eliminate the border and make the frames directly side-by-side with no spacing between them.

I'm going to have to agree here, don't have that pic in the top frame, just have the links if you are doing frames anyways. Maybe put that pic on the Home page of the site??

I don't agree with not going with frames, their simple to do and look just as good as putting the menu on every page (and less work!). The only time I'd actually put the menu on EVERY page, is if I got a JavaScript menu from

So try those things in your frameset I gave you to eliminate the border and get that pic off the top frame and the site should look better!

Just my .02 ~ Tyler
  6. What I would suggest would be to have the main menu on the main page, but to have a smaller menu that is without the big picture on the top (so just those menu images). It would still look good, but having that big menu on every page is also pretty cluttered.
  7. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    For some reason, this really cracked me up:

Some sort of drums from some brand...
    He also uses such and such brand of sticks...

Looks good, I'd suggest using some different fonts, other than that it's pretty cool. I wouldn't go overboard trying to impress on a website, unless you're some HTML god. I think a band's website just needs to have the basics: who you are, where you're playing, what you play. I try to keep ours rather simple.
  8. Some people consider me one, now I just need to learn how to use PS7!
  9. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    I have the opposite problem, I know PS7 but I don't know HTML too well. Maybe you can help me. Take a look at my site and see what it needs if you don't mind.
  10. Personally I don't think it needs anything changed on it. I love the setup you got going and it looks all good to me.
  11. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Cool, thanks, this is the 1st website I've ever done, so I'm open to anything.
  12. Are you serious? Did you write out the HTML or use frontpage or somethin like that? That is really good for a 1st page.
  13. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    I bought HTML for dummies, haha. It actually helped quite a bit, plus I had a few friends help me out with some of the code. Thanks though, I'm getting better every day.
  14. I was going to say...but anyways, yeah, awesome site, I give it a 10/10!
  15. I still don't like frames. :p

BTW, the only way to code html is by band. Any other way is strickly for the women and children! ;)
  16. Well, I know this is a old thread, but...

I finally got rid of the frames, what do you think??
  17. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Looks good from my end! (no frames so cant comment on that whole argument :p).
  18. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    74, cool site, but there are a few things I would do differently. The top bar with the band pics is pretty cool, but when it comes to links, I've never been a big fan of the giant blue text style. I would suggest creating buttons of some sort to replace them. If you don't have the software, you can create some awesome buttons online at Then if you want to get fancy, you can create two buttons of each. For example, one buttons that says show with the text in white, and then another one with the text in red. After that you can create a mouseover with the two. That way, when you roll over the white "Shows" button, the text will turn red.

The second suggestion I have is everything seems to big and spacious. (with text, pics, ect.) It seems like you do a lot of unnecessary scrolling. I would condense things a lot more. Espcially the bio pics. You might want to consider creating seperate pages for each members bio with their picture in the corner. Since you don't have LOTS of text to write, you might want to create two link sets. Main navigation links up top like you have now, and then sub links on the left hand side for things like bios/song lyrics/whatever you have. That way you make navigation easier, and you fill up more space so everything doesn't seem so empty.

Lasty, I think your page is lacking a little in the information department. From reading your site, I still have no idea what style of music you play, if you play covers or orginals, what your band history is, ect. Also, even though you have a guestbook and forum, I suggest putting a contact email in the main navigation links.

Other than that, I think you have the right direction. The product links you have at the bottom of the main page look really good. Hope some of this helps. :)

Fastplant, I have to agree with Tyler, your site looks killer. I think what seperates the alright webmasters from the great webmasters is good use of tables, and you put tables to excellent use.
  19. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    And I just listened to My Own Worst enemy. Beautiful tone.