My band went crazy last night!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by MatticusMania, Aug 28, 2009.

1. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    So, my Improv Rock band was booked to play with a couple of DJs at a venue in the Valley. We show up and find the place is quite small, hardly any room for us, but we make due.

We get set up and are having a few beers in the parking lot. The person who booked us comes up to us just as we were about to go onstage and tells us we can wait another 20 minutes or so if we'd like, to allow more people to show up. So we said alright and have another beer. A few minutes go by and the soundguy, who's equipment was not set up when we got there nor by the time we were done setting up (we had brought our own PA anyways) , comes outside and tells us we have to go on now, as we're running behind. Ok...

So we go inside and begin our set. After the first song we're asked to turn our volume down. We werent all that loud, but we obliged. After our second song, we're asked to turn down again. Well, we're already lower than usual, but ok, we turn down again. After we begin our third song the guy who booked us comes up to the stage, yes to tell us to turn down again, and thats when things got weird.

Our drummer, who was set up in front of me, gets up off his kit and puts his arms up in the air like he's ready to fight. My first thought is W-T-F? They exchange some not so friendly words. Meanwhile Im just telling my band 'guys, just turn down some more' when our guitarist gets mad and slams his guitar on top of his amp. Ok, now Im really all W-T-F?!

So the promoter is pissed, my drummer and guitarist are pissed, and now our synth player is getting pissed. This is weird... the promoter tells us 'one more' after we've only played 2 songs, and thats when we all just said 'eff this, lets break down'. Apparently the bartender was complaining to the promoter that she couldnt hear people ordering drinks. Our synth player tells the bartender that she's too old, and that struck a nerve with her.

So as we're breaking down these 2 girls at the bar are telling us to keep playing. All I said to them was 'sorry, but I guess we're too loud for this place'. So we breaking down and having words with the promoter at the same time. We finish and we're outside, the next act sets up and begins. I go inside to order a drink, the bartender couldnt hear me.

We left and had a few beers at our drummers house. All in all it was a fun, yet interesting, night.

2. nicfargo

nicfargo

May 28, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    Sucks that you had a bad experience...you had a good attitude about it. If a place asks you to turn down...you should oblige. They're paying you, not the other way around. Not sure why your band members got so bent out of shape...could be something else that day was upsetting them, who knows? At least you got to have a few beers afterwards!

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Time for a conversation with band members, telling them that if the people paying you say turn down, you turn down and don't complain about it.

No play, no pay. Easy equation to balance.

4. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Nah, it wasnt a paid gig or anything, so no worries on that front. It was a bit rude of them to come up to tell us to turn down as we were playing, but also, my band did not exactly act appropriately. All's good, however.

5. Combat Chuck

Combat Chuck

Jul 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Maybe that bar should just have acoustic sets from now on.

Or maybe their bartender should get hearing aids.

6. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yeah, we definitely made both of those points. To some person or other.

7. Flatty Banks

Flatty Banks

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    Must of been fun to setup and put everything back after three songs, though.

8. don't you hate it when only the bass player can stay calm in these situations?

even the SYNTH player? I thought they were even more mellow than the bassist!

still, that sucks about all the confusion and resulting chaos. must have been an awkward gig.

9. modulusman

modulusman Inactive

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Being as they were playing for free the bar got what they paid for. Maybe next time they will hire professionals.

10. Uh-oh........Ding!!Round One!!

11. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    some "bars" shouldnt have bands .....

12. There has been a time in my career where we,the band,received a ticket/citation for "Disturbing the Peace"by local law enforcement.No warning,no nothing.
    HA!!The cop made out the ticket to our guitar player!!

13. KrisH

KrisH

Nov 6, 2007
    New Jersey
    Yet, I suspect they won't make the connection . . .

14. Well my brother that right there is a recipe for disaster.
    You already knew the place was ridiculously small, so this should have clued you in that you will be playing at lower volume than usual. THEN you add alcohol to the mix,added to the fact that you are not even being paid, and loud gui****s are sure to result. Then when the owner of the bar tells you to turn down and the "drinking" gui****s, and drumtard get offended because they have not had any solos yet. And this surprises you ???

15. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Actually the guitar had the lowest volume out of all of us. And he doesnt play solos. If anything I think my bass may have been too loud, as the speaker were somewhat in front of me and I couldnt hear them all too well, though our volume was already pretty low, being in a small place and all, they just wanted it lower. The others that played after us were just as loud.

16. Menace

Menace

Mar 4, 2009
    WV
    Played a Moose club one time. The average age was probably 65 years old. Before we were halfway through the first song, we were asked to turn down. We complied. Were asked a second time, and complied again. I was getting really nervous, thinking this was not going to be a very fun night. But, to my amazement, they really enjoyed us, once we got to a "comfortable" level for them. One of my favorite gigs. The older crowd really knew how to have fun, and they weren't afraid to show it.

17. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Or you do what a friend of mine, Ryan Aubin (Sons Of Otis/LOA if anyones heard of them) does: turn everything up, get as much feedback as possible, go take a piss with the feedback raging then come back and cover a miscellaneous hardcore punk song and leave... not the most efficient way to get booked for gigs, but sometimes it gets the audience goin as ****.

18. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    That's why I hate playing bars where the music is secondary to the beer. "Too loud" is a phrase I haven't heard in a while. Gotta pick your gigs carefully, or weird stuff like that can happen. I guess I'm just spoiled, though...

19. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Every time I've been in an "Improv Rock band" the same thing happened. Just the phrase "imporov rock band" is deserving of abuse somehow... Much better, is a rock band with songs that has some improvisation in the songs (even if all instrumental). Leave the improv band concept to horn players or solo/duet situations.

20. From my experience in bitchery cause studies .... last night being within the last 7 days of the month....
    You have just experienced the curse of the RED ROW...When the DR proscribes Birth Control pills...they try to start them on the first day of the month...pill one=1st...pill 2= 2nd so on until the end of the month the red row of pills "THAT TIME" week along with the "Dormitory Effect" its in the air and NO MAN is safe ....NO MAN and when it comes to a bar.... if the CHICK BARTENDERess and Table Wenches ain't happy.... NO ONE will be happy!!!!

:bag:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021