Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Band

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matteran, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    So, my band's in the middle of recording (I'm doing all the recording, so please tell me what you think of the sound quality and stuff, most of this stuff is pretty low end gear)

I just finished the bass tracks, and just wanted to let you hear a song, and tell me what you think of my tone and such.

This is probably our most pop-y song, and i tried to change that with my bass interlude, i think it's pretty cool.

Song

(This was a quick mixing job, as i'm not going to take a lot of time to mix without the other instruments in the mix. I realize there needs to be some more kick drum, and other things.)

2. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    eh?

3. With as much high end as you have, going crazy like you at the section where its the verse riff with the crash, it sounds sickening. I guess the sound works, though I don't know what you're goign for. And the last section around 3:15 area... you definitely have a few boo boos.

I'd dial in a bit more grit in conjunction with not hitting your strings so hard. That way you get more of that attack with going not as crazy crazy while not going as crazy in the first place.

Also, oddly, your bass sounds similiar to a guitar under medium distortion, lots of sliding noise. It's probably the high end (which I'm guessing is a part of your sound).

4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Well, I guess if you already know the problem with this song there's no need to go into them any further.

I AM looking forward to hearing the finished product. I think this has alot of potential.

Have a great time and make sure to post it when you are done!

:D

Joe.

5. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    are you guys all instrumentals?

6. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    nope, going to be recording guitar and vocals next.

I thought i didn't have enough high end... oh well. I like the sound.

Oh, and normally, i play a lot harder, but for this "softer" song i'm playing a lot lighter.

7. i like it :)

however, from 2min 30s onwards id consider redoing, as said above, few booboos. also, the interluede is cool imo, could be a little tighter in the last few bars, and the sliding sound spoils it..

i dig the sound as well, though I'd question it (cant describe it).

8. Dude, you might think that you're hardcore because you go all out on your strings, but on recordings, they pick up ALL of the dynamics. That means those choking all of the tone out of your strings is a bad idea. You just lose too many dynamics imo.

If you like the tone of choked strings, then forgot I said anything. But if you don't, think about and don't be so egotistical about you play to not atleast try letting the dynamics come alive.

Not to offend you.

9. iheartbass

iheartbass

Jan 19, 2005
    california
    yeah, i recorded the song in two parts, one part up to the interlude, and then the second part is the interlude to the end. I think i just lined up the end a little wrong, because i messed around with it, and the timing's good.

And I don't play hard to be hardcore, i play hard to get the growl and speaker dynamics i like when i play hard.

10. I know what you mean, but, imo, I think you take it a bit too far. Consider getting a BDDI or simply adding gain. Maybe micing the cab instead of going DI will get you. I personally like that "naturally compressed" -ish sound, but you're going ,again imo.

Then again, you like how it sounds and that's all that matters. Though I wish you'd atleast try a few alternatives just to make sure your decision is the best one.

Thanks for not taking anything offensively.

11. sLapshock

sLapshock

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    sounds crap. the drummer and bass player not LOCK enough. should improve more. this is mediocore anyway. no hard feelings but you can try harder.

:)

12. Heh, that aint nothign...you should check my jazz combo out for how a rhythm section can be off.

13. sLapshock

sLapshock

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    GIMMIE THE LINK SEXY

14. Wait you did realize I said how a rhythm section can be "off" right...as in off rhythm, lol.

15. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    that was me with the "iheartbass" username (it's my girlfriends, and i was at her house)...

My rig and mic setup was as follows...

Tobias Growler -> BDDI (i turn this off for the interlude with delay (delay is a DE7)) -> Mesa/Boogie 400+ (recording line out) -> Avatar 4x10 (miced with an SM57, and a PS58 (i think that's the number) kick drum mic. Most of the signal is the mics, and a little of the extra high end is from the line out)

I haven't EQed the track yet, and have planned on taking some treble out, but at practice that amount of treble sounds perfect in the mix, so i'm not going to touch it until i get everything else recorded.

And yeah, i know we're not totally on... but trust me, we're tight when we play live. I've got many compliments that we have an awesome and energetic live show, and that our rhythm section is awesome (from fellow musicians).