Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Band!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ulyanov, Jun 5, 2001.

1. I'm finally getting a band together! Hooray! I've been meaning to get my friends together to play for a long time now, and I've played with my guitarist friend and my drummer friend, but it just doesn't work. Mostly we don't get along with the drummer in a musical setting. But I was listening to Jaco last night, and none of it is your standard guitar/bass/drums power trio. It was different. And that got me thinking: I know lots of musicians, they just don't play standard rock band instruments. So this weekend I'm getting together with three friends to play for the first time. I'll play bass (of course), and my friends will play piano, clarinet, and flute, but between us we can also play guitar, harmonica, accordian, trumpet, and tenor and alto sax. Anyway, I want to play mainly original work, but I have no idea how to go about this. Should I write stuff ahead of time, or should we try to write as we go along? Should I write parts for other instruments, or should I let them do it themselves? My flute and clarient players haven't played in a small band type setting, just the school band where they're given music to play. Another question: I don't know any drummers besides my previous one. Do you think I should try to patch things up with him, or just go with what I have? Right now I'm leaning towards just going with what I have, but I'm not sure yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.