Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My bandmates smoke a lot...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kwan, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Kwan

Kwan

May 14, 2004
    I don't smoke, but my bandmates do...

I found that the maple for my fingerboard and neck is turning more and more yellowish. I have asked one of my friend (in another band) about it, he said his WHITE BC.Rich guitar has turned creamy color just because he smoke a lot too.

ANy way to remove that yellowish color???? :crying: :crying:

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It may not be smoke that is turning your maple board yellow, and if it is, it will clean up pretty easily.

Maple tends to do that as it ages. In fact, it's rather difficult to keep it from naturally yellowing.

I would let it yellow. And think of it as mellowing rather than yellowing.

3. Lacquer also yellows with age.

4. To prevent your bass from yellowing, cover it in FORMICA (lime green formica preferably). That oughta do it!

(Sorry about the stupid comment), but I'm on a formica kick today.

GO FORMICA! :D

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    The finish on your bass ages and yellows. I personally don't mind it, because it looks pretty sweet. Cigarettes might speed up the process, I dunno.

6. do you mean cigarettes, or weed?

7. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    i like the yellowness of aged maple, my new fender's maple fretboard looks way too white. Much rather have a nice aged vintage lookin one.

8. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    +1
    Going vintage, cool !! :D

I dont believe its from smoke, its rather natural ageing, i like it!

9. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    If you think the smoke is turning your bass yellow, imagine what it's doing to your lungs.

10. Tell your band mates to stop smoking. Simple.

11. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Our band room is in a basement and pretty small (maybe 350 square feet?) with almost no ventilation. I sealed the room with insulation and caulking so the thieving neighbours wouldn't know we're jamming, but this also sealed the ventilation. We step outside to smoke... no big deal.

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    It's the nicotine from the cigarettes. My dad smokes and my grandmother smoked, trust me -- this isn't natural aging. Natural aging wouldn't be this sudden. Take some time and really clean it -- find out what won't hurt the finish any more. Personally, I love the look, but you obviously don't.