Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my bands 1st gig at the-rox festy

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Howard K, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Well, The rox festival in Bogna Regis was a good 1st gig. A fair sized audience, but they were really unenthusiastic. Putting on my diplomatic hat, I'd say that the overall quality of bands wasn't nearly as high as I'd expected.

Anyway, everyday's a school day and I learnt two things... both of which I already knew!

1) Promoters are full of it!
    They told us they anticpated 60,000 over the weekend, which would have meant a huge audience, given that were were on the main stage at 6.30pm. They neglected to mention that the festival had been relocated out of the town centre since last year and I got the impression there was some controversy surrounding this fact from a questionairre they asked usd to fill in when we were watching acts.
    We played to an audience of a around a thousand. Not bad for a 1st gig, but still dissapointing given what I felt we were lead to expect. Still, probably more disspointing all round for the promoters.

2) Never let stage crew hurry you because they are running behind.
    By the time we were on at 6.30 the gig was 20 mins behind. We agreed to drop a track, but they were still pointing at their watches and telling us two more while we were playing! Yeah, I can really get into this while some wiry old git is mouthing stuff at me from the side of the stage! I felt this was basically out of order.
    What was worse though, is that thery were hurrying all the bands so much that about three bands started before they were ready and screwed up their 1st tracks (including us, lead guitar not turned up - in a three piece, doh!) due to bascially being really hurried. We also didnt even get a chance to strum a chord and sing a note as sound check... consequently we couldnt hear half as much vocal in the monitor as anything else.

Anyway, it was a good day, we played good and the reggae band that followed us were bloody great.
    coolio

Next gig - dublin castle, camden.
    HK.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Nice one

RE the sound thing

My band starts on a simple structured instrumental with some short improvised sections. This means that theres less to screw up (for us and the sound people) and we get some confidence.

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK

My 'metal' band does that too.
    I might write 'a 2 minute something' and suggest it... that said we've got more than 30 mins of decent songs and we're limited time-wise by a short set anyhow.

It was more the vocals that were the problem. Our singer can really sing well - I have live recordings which really are superb, but no one can sing when they cant hear themselves properly. That's festivals I guess.

It was fun tho! :)

FYI - I took my rig (EA iAmp600 + Tech21 2x10" + horn - aaah, my baby!!) and used the house bass rig anyway.
    It was two EBS stacks. It sounded OK, but was a bit trebley/ clicky for my liking. It made my Fender P sound like a cheaper, more modern design of bass, rather than the big fat classic warm P bass sound I usually get from it. Nice, but not what I wanted.
    Anyway I'm dead chuffed that I preferred the sound of my own tiny rig to that of the mega expensive EBS! :)

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Don't go there :) Thats the other thing we do. After the instrumental, we do the simplest song, slow and quiet enough for me to shout "more vocals in the monitors please Mr Sound Desk Attendant!!!"

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    You sing, Cool!

What style music? I'd like to hear it?

I'm going round the singer/songwriter/guitarists house this week to work on backing vocals. I really want to sing, just BVs, not sure if I can or not, we'll see I guess!
    Some sections will be easy as the bass is simple, but in some choruses I'm outlining like 6 chords with 4ths, 5ths, and short walks between. Nothing difficult normally, but while singing as well.
    Let's just say it will be interesting!!

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I sing in the style of Ian Dury, Lou Reed, Mick Jones ;) The trick is not to try to be what you are not. I only sing in my band and I write or pick the songs I sing. For covers the rule is you choose it you sing it.

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Good stuff. Lou Reed rocks, as does/did Ian Dury.

"For covers the rule is you choose it you sing it."
    Sounds scary. Let's cover and Elvis track guys... errr?!

You dont play bass like the guy that played with Ian Durys while singing do you? That'd be tres impressive!

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Hit me!!!

No actually I play guitar in the band I sing in. My bass player sings and plays (the git) but it's something I cannot do beyond the odd bv on chorus etc.

EDIT way OT but I downloaded 'Me and my bass guitar" by Bela Fleck etc (Victor Wooten) and that is impressive.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    how did you get in a festival for your first gig?

10. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    JT - through our manager, he's an influentaial guy I guess. Arty Fufkin, Polymer records? You probably know him ;)

CS: I've not heard that. I'll check it out, maybe? I get right into mad bass playing, but I like it to be in the context of great song or it just bugs me!

Tommy the cat is another prime(us) example of something no one should be able to do!

Warning - way off topic!
    You (CS) have lessons with Steve also don't you? - How often do you have them and how much time do you spend on homework/ learning out of lessons?

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Wait 5 minutes and look in your PM inbox :)

12. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    good idea!

..anyway, JT - the singer/songwriter, spent the past 3 years writing and putting together a demo of his work - you can hear the tracks at the url below. he played, recorded, sung and produced the whole thing.
    he's basically signed a manager easily because it's pretty marketable stuff. the manager is a known industry bod, so when he calls people, they listen. handy in an industry full of tightarses!

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, good score. we're trying to land a good manager right now. that's half the battle, imo.

14. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    well, yes it is. admittedly, it's not my doing (i'm just a bass player, maan) Stuart is a very talented and commited bloke and it's great to work with someone like that. it's so easy!!!

15. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Howard you have two PM's and you got part 2 first D'oh!!!