1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my bands (currently unmastered) demo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by joebingo, Nov 11, 2006.

1. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
  2. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO Inactive

May 4, 2006
    Courtenay, BC, Canada
    I really liked that a lot. The drumming was excellent and your were sounding really good as well. Sometimes the guitar wasn't really loud enough - not that I like really loud guitars but sometimes I couldn't really here it.

Like I said before though I really liked it. It kind of sounded like what if rush was an instrumental ska band?

3. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    really nice! awesome stuff, I love hearing things like this. I think the guitar could be a bit louder at the start though. Really nice groove.

are you a fan of the king blues? I was doing the PA for a gig a couple of fridays ago where they played, and they were absolutely insane... one of the best live bands I've ever seen.

the singer nabbed the bottle of JD we had going for a raffle, opened it, and passed it around the crowd. now that was punk :bassist:

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Dig it!!! The guitars need to be up in the mix more. The bass at times seems a bit to "up front". Maybe an eq problem or just to high in the mix. I would also check the dyanmics of the kick drum. Seemed that the level wasnt always consistent. Comp being used?

I think it sounds really good with just a need of some fine adjustments in the mix.

5. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    I'm mates with 'em man, what a small world... you mean itch, jamie, fruitbag and a plethora of new people who i havent yet got to know, yeah? they're a quality band! you know they used to be a 2 piece, just itch and jamie. I remember going to see htem at the windmill in brixton with about 30 poeple there. absolutely crazy that they've shot up to headlining the underworld and getting everyone moving, and also packing out he 12 bar, making it nigh on impossible to move. it's really really wierd lol. they are awesome live as well!

cheers for the positive comments people! we're still in the mixing stages, that was just a rough mixdown to give us something to show people after a day of recording. we'll put it on that myspace as soon as its done and i'll let you all know!

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Cool stuff, for ska type stuff, it would be cool to hear the bass a bit more... bassy/warm sounding.

I dig it though... I think this could stand to have a vocalist, there are quite a few parts that are a bit boring, but would be perfect with vocals.

A Policey Rush perhaps, I don't know, pretty cool.

7. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    IT SUCKS!

I haven't listened to it yet. But I had to disagree with everyone else, by habit.

-update- I just actually listened, and I like it very much.

Thumbs Up!

8. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    Nice. I agree, the guitar is a bit drown out :)

What's your axe btw? I would venture a Jazz, bridge pup...

9. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    very close - jazz 24 (active pre) neck pickup on at about 90%, bridge on at about 10% (hard to tell - got a panning pot for my pu's)

preamp set high mids and treble, bass on about 75%.

amp EQ pretty much flat, recorded with a condenser mic.

10. Big nebula

Big nebula

Feb 15, 2006
    Scotland
    Joebingo,guys,

It's not about the mix:meh: It's about a total lack of melody!

It reminds me of a situation where a band looses their singer in a bar brawl and the band continues to play the track without him! Bring in a melody then let's discuss the mix!
    :hyper:

11. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    Hey sure, I like the music, the different styles and dynamics. Reggae, dub, rock, ska, I love the combination. It's a very good recording actually. I just had to pick on something for the sake of argument :) I'd like to hear the guitar more, that's all, I think it would sound more balanced.

So, you the bass player, and him the drummer, mixed it together... hmmm,... :ninja: :D

12. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    sick sick sick, man (i mean that in the good way).

MORE BASS!

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    May I ask how exactly you recorded this?

Live? Mic placing? etc

Reminds me of Bloc Party, which is good.

Oh, I'm not too happy about the use of double kickdrum in that kind of music, but that's just taste I guess..

14. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    Drum mics:
    snare, kick, 2 toms, 2 booms (over hi-hat and ride)

bass was on a stereo track, so I had a condenser mic just off center on the speaker and i also used the line out to di as well.

guitar was just mic'd very close to center on his speaker.

we used a 12 track.