Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My band's demo- give it a listen!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ibanezplayer, Aug 22, 2004.

1. My band just finished recording our demo recently. I want to know what some real musicians think of it, and my bass playing. We're all in the 16-18 year old group. I'm really looking forward to some feedback.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm hardly a real musician, but I thought it was cool. Demo recording quality leaves a bit to be desired, but otherwise cool. Like the singers voice, cool bass. The guitar was the weak point for me. -Possible that it would sound better with a better mix, but it seemed extra thin, mainly on the distorted parts. Drummer was cool, but left things a tad sparse when I thoght the drums should fill up a little more. It seems to slip out at times.

Overall, quite good! Not really my style, but great work.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    nicely done... very "Mary's Danish" sound to your singer. I've gonna go pull out my discs... haven't heard them in a while.

The first one looses time and I think the mix is a little off (I am using crappy speakers on this machine)... the horns seemed louder and clearer then the vocals.

I'll definately check out more from y'all... good stuff.

4. sounds good bro...im more of a metal guy but its cool... i like the singer and horns... cool bass playing as well

heres my band: www.purevolume.com/glyptic let me knwo what you think

5. I really dig this song.

6. Brat

Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    Nice bass lines! Pretty catchy! But yeah I kinda agree with Bliss. The guitars came out a bit weak to me but still, really nice!

7. sedgdog

sedgdog

Jan 26, 2002
    Pasco, WA
    You've got a very good feel on bass. Good tone also. Your band plays very mature and your songs are well written.

My only suggestion - and please don't take this wrong - I'm not trying to step on your band as artists - is maybe rethink the F*** title. Your song is very good. I would hate to see you alienate a range of your audience before they get a chance to listen to it.

All the best,
    Tim

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

+1 on everything you said. (except replace Tim with Josh)

edit: also really good singer. all my freinds who have bands have the worst singers in the world, it's good to hear a really good vocalist.

edit#2: lol, teenage riot almost sounded like zoot suit roit at the begining.

9. Thank you guys so much for checking it out. I like hearing what people think about our work. Headbanger, I'm looking forward to checking out your band tomorrow, but right now I gotta hit the sack. Thanks again, all feedback appreciated.

10. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Hey!

Good Job!

Young kids these days are coming up with some very inventive stuff.

My band headlined at a minor benefit last month and 2 of the bands that opened for us were from the Portland area.

They were kids your age and they both kicked some serious butt too.

Keep up the good work.

:)

Joe.

11. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    man, what a talented group. i love the sound of every instrument, and i agree that **** elaina is pretty damned sweet.

really unique/quality sound - just need a producer/type/sort to bring out the intricacies of the band. cause there's quite a load there.

seriously awesome stuff.

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Great stuff, I really enjoyed "Don't F With Alaina".

Her voice is really good, reminds me of Christabelle from 8 1/2 Souveniers a little bit, but slightly less sultry. If you havent heard their stuff, check out Happy Feet of theirs. Similar to your bands style in ways, but more old and eclectic.

Really liked your bass lines and tone, awesome playing. I do agree with the others, the guitar sounds too thin, especially distorted parts. Something to be desired in the mix, the playing is fine I thought though.

Would actually appreciate it if you gave my bands stuff a listen too (in my signature). Not your style really, but maybe along lines of things you might like. No hard feelings if you dont get around to it though :)

13. yeah i agree with everyone else, good stuff!

14. Thanks again everyone! I like hearing good and bad things about it, it'll really help to improve.

Robin

15. BMXThrasher19

BMXThrasher19

Aug 26, 2004
    Hello, I am the drummer in this band and I was just wondering about Blisshead's comment:
    Drummer was cool, but left things a tad sparse when I thoght the drums should fill up a little more.

Is it that u cant here what i'm playing? because i told our recorder to turn most of the parts up but he had it maxed out. or do u think i dont play enough stuff? the band usually complains about how much i play and how i try to make stuff to complicated. can u name a specific part of a song?

also lots of ppl keep saying we lose time. which parts are u talking about so we can work on it

thanks
    Z

if u dont already know our website is http://publicforcefield.tripod.com

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Dude, that is some swet stuff. Don't F with Alaina is a great song with good groove. Your singer reminds me slightly of norah jones with a darker feel. You guys have a ton of talent. Your drummer is good too. On the distorted part I think it needs to be a smooth overdrive rather than the cruchy stuff. Would fit the song much better. Too much contrast with it like that. I am going to download these for playing in the car!

17. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweet stuff. Nice bass vibe and the whole band I can tell is very good. The only thing is that the guitar doesnt sound that great ( i cant really make out very many notes) but the bass makes up for it a lot. Good stuff keep it coming.

18. aww man i love it as soon as u come out with a cd post it on the board or better yet send me a pm u got one sold. i will be watching sweet sweet stuff i really enjoyed it.