Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My band's demo tracks...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by misterk73, Nov 17, 2003.

1. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    doesn't work for me. "page not available" for both streaming and mp3s

2. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Try it now. The URLs above have been corrected. Thanks!

3. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    yeah, downloading *now*...
    will provide feedback later.

4. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well i'll say instrumentally it's very cool, cool mix of rocking bits and some jazziness, but to be honest the lead singer isn't too talented, he needs more emotion, it sounds like he's talking. With some solid vocals it would be top notch.

5. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Cool. Thanks. BTW, the vocals are by the guitar player (with me doing the backup/echo stuff in the first song). Eventually, I'd like to get someone in the band who can really wail, but for now the guitar player and I have to sing by default ...

:(

6. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Anyone else care to weigh in? I'd really like to hear some thoughts, opinions, constructive criticism, etc. Thanks!

7. j_sun23

j_sun23

Feb 24, 2003
    Baton Rouge LA
    Quality stuff.

I agree about the vocals being the weak point. They do have a certain strange appeal to them though. Might just need to be recorded/mixed better. They remind me of Presidents of The United States of America, you remember guys, that "Peaches" song. Kinda catchy in a weird, dumb sorta way.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I quite like the music. guitar is a bit loose sounding in spots, but it's good. If you had a better vocalist thus would be reallt good. Maybe mixing them in better would help. He's too loud, and sounds like he's in a different room. IMO, that doesn't work especially when the vocal quality is suspect. Nice bass tone. Overall- I like it! I only listened to 4am and Blacklight, as I'm late for work. Whomever writes the music has a good ear for hooks. Maybe try remixing it?

9. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    Yes, I like it. Nice rhythm section. Particularly like the bass and drums on 4am.

I think that maybe the guitarist could be more assertive (confident ? )in his guitar style - needs a bit more light and shade to my ear. IMHO he also needs to give the singing a bit more ooomph.

The lyrics don't seem to scan with the music in 4am around 1:14. I also think that the bars around 0:33 to 0:47 on 4am should be really snappy. They seem to have lost their punch somehow.

Anyway, you asked for criticism - I hope this is constructive.

But I'll tell you some'at - just listened to the 4 tracks again and they certainly grow on you. Who writes the songs ?

10. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    ah yes.. i'm back to post my impressions.

well, the "bad things" first: i didn't like the vocals very much. they lacked strength and focus (lack of a better word). during some parts of the songs, things became a bit too repetitive.
    i second the above posters' comments about the guitarists playing. some "heavier" passages miss punch.

other than that i really liked the production and most of the ideas. the songs and concepts work and are pleasant to listen to without becoming boring ore "easy-listening". as already mentioned the songs grow on you which is always a good sign.

definitely continue in that direction!