Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my bands demo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by gustav, Mar 11, 2006.

1. gustav

gustav

Mar 11, 2006
    Västerås, Sweden
    Hello!

we're five 17 year old guys from sweden and we've just recorded our first demo.

listen to it and say what you think.
    i would also be happy to get som opinions on my bass playing.
    sorry if our english sucks.

check it out:
    www.myspace.com/pollokandtheparade

2. Nice songs, I like the bass on Space Monkey. You guys have a great sound. I also really like the piano on all of the songs

3. sully812

sully812

Mar 12, 2006
    I like it. The tunes reek of the Doors. The word "groovy" comes to mind. No question there's a Doors influence there. Your bass playing is good. What equipment did you use? Where did you record this? What did you use to record it with?

Space Monkey is neat. Inspiration Station is cool too. Nice bass line.

The Parade is alright. Your bass is a little burried, but it's in there.

Of the 3, I gotta say, I like Space Monkey the best.

Nice work.

4. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    You got some real good tunes there. Nice groovy bass, and as previously stated that keyboard is great!

5. gustav

gustav

Mar 11, 2006
    Västerås, Sweden
    thank you for the answers.

We recorded this in a studio, near our rehearsal space.
    I dont know much about the recording stuff because we're all rookies... anyhow i lined the bass and the recordingprogram is called Cubase. A guy who's working there helped us mixing it.

I haven't played for a long while so I still play om my Squier p-bass special.

The Doors is a big influence but we didn't really think about 'stealing' their sound.

6. sully812

sully812

Mar 12, 2006
    Gustav, I'm sorry if I offended you. I certainly didn't mean to imply that you were stealing anything. Just observations. Keep it up, you guys are good! :bassist:

7. gustav

gustav

Mar 11, 2006
    Västerås, Sweden
    haha no i dont think you offend me.
    i just wanted to say something about that :)

we've heard alot that we remiinds of the doors and we don't think thats a negative thing.. we just don't hear that ourselves.
    but thank you for the nice comments and sorry if that i earlier wrote sounded 'angry'.. i am really uncertain in writing english in forums.. if you know what i mean

//Gustav

8. Space Monkey is great!
    Agree'd bass is a little buried, but I'm really diggin' it

9. gustav

gustav

Mar 11, 2006
    Västerås, Sweden
    thanks
    yeah i also agree that it is buried, i think its enoying because it didn't sound like that in the studio..

10. gustav

gustav

Mar 11, 2006
    Västerås, Sweden
    just wanna show you..
    recently we recorded this song of ours called on the wall.
    its song no. 4

its a song in "how many more times" type.
    we recorded it really quickly live in school so it's not something deadserious

hope you like it
    rock on!

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    YEAH!! I LOVE THIS STUFF!! It's good to hear a modern band play some true psych!!! Keep up the awesome work. Sent a couple friends requests your way (me and my band).

12. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Keep it up Gustav! I really like it!. It's good stuff! The bass sounds really nice.

13. gustav

gustav

Mar 11, 2006
    Västerås, Sweden
    rock! i'm glad you liked it
    i like your songs to, makes me think of a new black sabbath

thanks gwx! :)

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    We get that quite a bit... our newer songs combine a few different elements, now that I've joined the band and started inserting some of my nerdy progressive elements in there. My guitarist told me (during the new song I wrote) "This part sounds like Rush." I took it as a compliment.

15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

16. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    What type of gear are you and the rest of your band using?
    Again, It sounds really good. You've got some really groovy bass lines.

17. gustav

gustav

Mar 11, 2006
    Västerås, Sweden
    thanks!
    well, i play on this squier p bass special.
    the guitarist play hon his gibson les paul that he bought during the lunch, the first day of the recording weekend... so he used it for the first time when he recorded the solo in Space Monkey.
    The organ and the piano is a Korg (i think) electric piano with a guitar pedal (makes the vibrato)
    I have no idea what kind of drums it is. our drummer didnt use his own set because the guy who helped us with the recordings thought it would be better with the one that allready stood there...