My Bands Drummer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by basspunk2005, Jun 21, 2005.

1. basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    Right down to the point my bands drummer is very good when he wants to be hes very talented etc. However if there is an argument in the band its always because of him, we have had many gigs where he hasnt put any sort of effort in with his playing and you can tell he cant wait to get off stage. If we ever have to learn a few cover songs myself and the other two guitarists learn them straight away so we are ready to practice them. In each practice the drummer says yea i listened to the songs but how do they start again?so we tell him how the songs go then next week its the same o yea i forgot how this part goes what does this do. He never puts any effort in, if we are having a band discussion we will ask for his opinion and he will say yea whatever, so we go ahead with a choice then he has a go at us for not including his ideas or anything. The end of the day he is a really good drummer but also has a major problem somewhere, what should we do?
  2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Moved to Misc...........

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:
  3. Just tell him what you just told us. If he doesn't start to even *try* to do something about it, dump him. There's other drummers that will work with you.
  4. Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I had a drummer like this, but worse... In addition to the aforementioned qualities, at shows he liked to hit his cymbals as hard as he could to voice his displeasure with song selection... (he's not with us anymore...) Best of luck to you and your situation!
  5. thebeef

Mar 3, 2005
    What is the deal with drummers? We have a very talented drummer thats on the verge of getting booted because he doesnt put forth the effort the rest of us do....hes got tempo problems but they are because he doesnt practice the songs....Its a shame, but we may end up replacing him with an inferior drummer who is a better musician....
  6. I'm a drummer.

Lots of guys are flakes. This guy is one of them. Bad attitude and work ethic. Go shopping. There are good ones out there.

Not blowing my horn but I practice about 1-2 hours a day on our set list to keep sharp and have determined the tempo for each song on a metronome which I bring to each practice to start of songs (then turn it off once into it but watch the lights). Then I keep a solid time in the pocket and only play what is necessary. I arrive on time and prepared and know the songs. I also don't complain, drink or do drugs and keep a positive attitude. It's really not that hard.

There are some songs in our set list I hate but when gigging I will play every song as well as I can.

A band is an art project and each member must contribute his best. If he's not into that...find another drummer.

7. hey I have a really good drummer who knows he is really good and at every show when their should be a standard tom fill inbetween parts he always trys to break out and biggest fill we have ever seen, or will almost double the speed of the song which is all fun and games at practice but at a show people will think we look like asses because the drummers playing at like 200bpm and we still at like 120bpm and is sucks
  8. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    sounds like a typical drummer to me....
  9. Strangely, drums are one instrument that most people think they can play without having to practice for years to become good. Drummers in my experience tend to not study their craft all that hard, and accept their level of skill without trying to better themselves.

If a bassist admitted he didn't know a minor pentatonic scale, he would generally go out and try to learn it.

Most drummers I know wouldn't be able to tell you what a paradiddle or a flam is, and never think they should go find out. :eyebrow: