My band's first gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Well, me and my new band got together on saturday for our first band practice with me in the band. Well, we practiced for about 3 hours, got about 5 songs nailed, and then the fun began. I was having a party that night, and the band was gonna play a small set to keep people entertained. Anyway, soon after we finished praticing the irst guest turned up, with a load of booze. My dad had also got me and my mates some bottle conditioned ale(we have class), and we started drinking. Then 2 more people turned up with booze, then about 4 mroe turned up, then about 6 more turned up. Th drinking really began and then the band decided to play the set. However, the lead guitarist was so plastered on vodka that he could barely stand, and half way through a song he fell over. Well that really amused the crowd. As the night went on various things happened(there may be the pitterp atter of tiny feet ;) ;) , and everyone had a great time. But we really did cock up big time due to drunkeness. Has anyone else ever got so battered they can't play?
  2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I have a guitarplayer who can't refuse booze, so if they offer him a pint before the gig, there is a big chance that he won't make it until the gig in a reasonable state..thats why we don't drink before a gig, it affects your playing, and I don't like that. If you're having fun, its ok, as long as you don't wreck gear or the crowd gets pissed for viewing a crap drunk band for who they payed money...think about it.
  3. Ahhh well, this was just a fun gig, my house, my party, my mates...they were all too wasted to notice any cocks ups, but they noticed it when the guitarist fell flat on his face. We have vowed never to drink again before a gig.
  4. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    fun times in strensall then....
  5. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    But we really did cock up big time due to drunkeness. Has anyone else ever got so battered they can't play?[/QUOTE]

You guys across the pond have such a way with words..... :)
  6. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    I climbed a balcony in this theatre my band played in. My guitarist tossed up my bass and I played a song up there.
    it was quite fun.
    I guess Jammeson and JD will make you do that.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Soooaahhh ... instead of coming in here and telling us how good your new band sounded, you're telling us how drunk you all got. Well, I'm sure impressed. Great job!
  8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Listen to a board tape of yourselves. Those can be pretty "sobering."