My band's first gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Steve Harris Is, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Steve Harris Is

Steve Harris Is

Jul 4, 2005
    Well my band( played its first "gig" tonight since we formed about 4 months ago. It was a PACKED HOUSE Open Mic deal at a local club. We went on right after the house band, following a bass player here in CT named Bob Laramie that I sweat to f**king God was Jaco's spirit wrapped in an accountant looking body. F**K that guy could P L A Y. I have only played for about 9 months but I swear I wanted to cut my hands off and just burn my basses after watching this guy(I am sure there are plenty of guys like that on this board but being new I am awed by anyone great).

So this guy was playing insane chords, harmonics, blazing solos all over the bass, and then I come up with my band and I'm plunking around like a f**king Chimp holding a mop. It was frightening but we did a good set of 4 originals we wrote, went over well with the crowd and we got a lot of good feeback so it was a great experience. However, the lights are HOT man, gonna take time getting used to that. Couldn't see a face in the crowd at all either because of the brightmess, which I guess was a good thing because I was so worried I was going to see like 75 people laughing as I was 4000times worse than wannabe Jaco that preceded me.

Overall great time, just made me realize I have a LONG way to go as player. Off to practice...
  2. Congratulations! It's good to see you can accept positive feedback, yet not let it go to your head, keeping an "I can improve" attitude. Hopefully there will be many more on the way.

3. Steve Harris Is

Steve Harris Is

Jul 4, 2005

Oh yeah, trust me I am captain humble. I always think I suck, and I am sure in ten years I'll still be the same way. I just want to be a decent player who can keep time and have some flash every once in awhile, no need to be Jaco-esque, though I imagine as I improve my goals my change. We'll see.

Had lots of fun playing though and I look forward to more...
  4. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    only other bass players care about that kind of thing.... real people don't care as long as your band rocks :bassist:
  5. RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    Amen to that.

We just had a show last week that went well. I'm not bad, as bass players go, but I saw the bass player in one the bands that went before us. He was seriously good and had seriously cool gear. Still, he was cool; he let me use his rig and we talked shop for a while. He gave me some cool insight into some technique ideas. Just goes to show that, no matter who you are, there is always someone from whom you can learn!

Of course, the other thing I learned is to never use fancy "gadgety" guitar straps. My strap with this cool-looking clasp fell apart in the middle of a song. I had to spend the rest of the tune kneeling on the floor. I felt like quite the jackass.
  6. grassjunkie

Mar 1, 2006

If you ever get to where you think you cannot improve, lay the bass down and take up basketweeving... As a musician never stop looking for ways to improve yourself. It is good you have the attitude of a pro already!!!