My band's first song recorded

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tyler Hole, Jul 30, 2004.

1. deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    welp, i'm not going to pretend i could do better - my thrash days are long gone. i have a couple constructive comments, please understand i'm just trying to help, cause i like the energy/enthusiasm...

- practice with a metronome, individually and as a group (specially the drummer). i'm assuming that the three tears in the beginning aren't intentional.

- get something better than a $2 microphone if you want feedback on the bass, cause i could barely make it out =(

again, not pretending i could do better, it's not easy stuff you're aiming for, but clearly very ambitious for the skill level at the moment.
  2. Yeah, we were off in some parts. We can nail it perfectly usually, I guess it was the pressure of knowing we were recording or something. And we would use a better mic, but we were just workin with what we had.
  3. deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    tell you what - record that same thing another 8 times, listening carefully in between each recording (ideally several times), then post the 9th recording here again and i bet you'll be blown away by the results =)

seriously man, i can hear the enthusiasm, the ability is there, it just sounded like a first run through - hearing you got the collective jitters cause the mic was on confirms to me you guys will be rocking it hard after a few listens. record yourselves often and you will get exponentially better in a very short period of time.

forget i mentioned the metronome, you'll get more out of listening to yourselves via recordings. it's the best tool for timing in the world.
  4. Well, we practiced all day and recorded towards the end. We know it's not perfect and we woulda done more if we had more time. Maybe next time we practice we will try again.
  5. deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    understood - but what you need to practice is recording, and hearing all the juicy information that recording produces =)

if you really want a challenge, record with a click track.
  6. We haven't been playing together that long so we never really decided to try and record. Was luck that it worked today, we were thinkin it wouldn't and we only did it because we practiced here at my house. I want to start recording a lot more stuff because it reveals a lot we don't hear while playing and helps us correct mistakes.
  7. spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    if u can afford it...
    try getting a minidisc player/recorder
    they can record for a long time... 3-4 hours
    in my band, my sax player just sets it up at the beginning of a rehearsal, and leaves it recording for the entire rehearsal
    in 5 min. the entire band forgets that its rolling
    The end result is that we not only have a record of all the things we can improve on, but also a record of our relaxed playing and ideas, that we can look back on and use to our advantage
    Mini disc quality is really good, and transferring MD music to a CD is not difficult at all
  8. If I ever get the money I would. I think we are gonna try and use the computer again. We can leave it rollin as long as we want.