My band's guitarist quit

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Ryan Atchison, Apr 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Well, the first guitarist I've ever played with quit:(. It's not because of arguments or feelings of emnity, it's because she was too busy and lived far away. I'm not too upset, I just need to find somebody new

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Pics?:smug:

andruca and alack like this.
  3. Nope. Hahaha

4. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    I have had to work with a revolving door of guitarists this past year.
    Some I was sad to see go, others I helped push out the door.
    In the times between guitar players I would play guitar so we could continue rehearsals,
    then when when new guitarists would join up, I would end up having to show them the guitar parts.
    Now the band thinks it would be easier to just get a bass player and have me play guitar.
    Stunned, I thought, what evil have I wrought to be in this position?

Stumbo, andruca, Pumpkin and 6 others like this.
  5. Ha, that's funny. Sorry I'm getting enjoyment out of your predicament.

OP: that sucks. I hope you find a good replacement!

6. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon

New guitarists are easy to come by. The hard part is explaining to them what you were doing swinging a dead cat around.

--^@

gln1955, Stumbo, pcake and 1 other person like this.
  7. That's funy. I think I found a guitarist. He's the only other guitarist I know in my area that I've met.

8. Fenflex

Fenflex

Apr 13, 2017
    France
    Maybe you should try to join an existing band ?

Stumbo and bolophonic like this.
  9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

Don't be upset. Just keep playing and look for the next opportunity. Were you just playing as a duo or was there a rest of a band involved? Anyway, there are a lot of musicians in the world; don't get too fixated on any one combination of players as THE BAND that defines your musical life. Get out and play and make music with whoever you find to make music with. You may get another opportunity with this particular guitarist later... or not. Just keep playing.

Stumbo and RSBBass like this.
  10. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    most bands I have been in seem to have one revolving door position. usually drummers, but sometimes guitarists. With cover bands, you can shrug your shoulders and find somebody else (if there's paying gigs involved), with original bands it's a lot harder.

bolophonic likes this.
  11. happycat

happycat

Jan 20, 2009
    Australia
    A few years ago my lead (and only) guitarist left. I became lead guitar until that band finally gave up the ghost. We had 2 other band members whom played bass which helped.
    I reckon that having band members who play more than one instrument is a huge plus. Gives you a lot of flexibility

12. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    My band went through 4 guitarists in 5 years before we scored with a keyboard player. He's professional, committed and a pleasure to work with. He even tells mutual friends how much he's enjoying our music.

Guitar players: often self-taught, touchy about their lack of theory knowledge, too loud (me, before I switched to bass).
    Keyboard players: often the result having had piano lessons from an early age, understand theory and read music, amenable to keeping levels reasonable.

I won't be looking for a guitarist any more.

13. repoman

repoman

Aug 11, 2011
    Kinderhook NY
    I haven't played with a guitarists in years. My ears thank me daily. :woot::)

14. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    There are 1,000,000,000,000 other guitarists in your own zip code, guaranteed.

Stumbo likes this.
  15. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Guitarists have been around for over 1b years. Should be one outside your door.:roflmao: Right now!

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    bolophonic likes this.
  16. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Guitarists are like a box of chocolates...

17. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    51OZx4zwrhL._SL256_.jpg

catcauphonic and Jimmy4string like this.
  18. IvarTheBoneless

IvarTheBoneless

May 24, 2017
    It depends where you live. New York or Northern Norway? Finding a guitarist is easy, finding one with good ears who is also a decent musician is another matter.

19. South of Richmond in Virginia. I'm only a high school freshman too. I don't want anyone too much older.

20. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Oh...yes, that's a filter that needs to be applied.:thumbsup: