1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My band's latest recordings.. Feedback needed!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Discount Saint, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Discount Saint

Discount Saint Bassist for the music in my head Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Hey everyone - my band is in studio currently finishing up a 7-song demo / EP and I'm looking for a little feedback on our progress at present.

So, if you are so inclined, head over to http://myspace.com/devicebox and take a listen to the songs we've got up there. These are the latest mixes out of the studio, though not finished, aside from the song called 'Reverse' which has actually been mixed and mastered and is probably in its completed state.

The last song in the player, 'Lost Cause' is actually scratch tracks aside from the drums, but I haven't received a good track mix of it yet. Feedback on that one is still appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Discount Saint

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Anyone???

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I only really listened to Reverse a little bit. It sounded pretty cool. Except for the singer IMO. A little OT, and I really don't mean to detract from this thread, but what is it with all the really clean sounding vocals in punk and rock these days? Im listening to "Black Dog" right now, and I wouldn't classify Plant as having really clean vocals. Even most power metal isn't quite as clean as a lot of the stuff from guys on here recently.

Maybe I'm just crazy....

Ya, I prolly am :oops:

EDIT: even looking at your inspirations list, I don't think "really clean". SP, RATM, Billy Talent, Nirvana.....

4. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    AFAIK, the clean vocal thing generally comes from the midwest indie scene, which is heavily inspired by stuff from the 80s like the pixies, the cure, and the smiths.

5. Kristopher

Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Listened to most of "Reverse". The low end on the track is a bit much. The singer needs to put a stronger more convincing vocal on the track. He sounds shy/scared. Not horrible though. :D

I'm no expert. Just my two cents as a general listener.

6. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    I was thinking the exact same thing. The singer sounded a little too timid at times.

7. Discount Saint

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Yeah I agree with you about the low-end on Reverse. Strangely I totally didn't hear that listening through my headphones, but as soon as I got it into the car I was like "Whoa.. need to do a little more mastering work on that".

As for Mike's singing, I think we're all aware that it isn't perfect.. he tends to be a lot stronger when he is overdriving, and he isn't as used to regular singing as he would like, which is why it comes across timid. Our drummer and engineer also kept telling him to be less growly and more clean, while I kept saying "You're better at grit, so go with the grit".