Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My bands name... at last!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Spikeh, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

OK, so we've been playing together for about 5 weeks - I started the band with my best friend (drummer) and recruited 2 guitarists. We've been working on our first song (none of us have experience of playing live, writing songs or playing with other people) and we've got it pretty tight. Needs work, but hey!

After hours of sitting and randomly shouting out words / names, we came up with:

Oxymoron

The drummer said we need to come up with an "Oxymoron", so we kept trying to think of one... then I suggested we actually use the word... one of the guitarists needed convincing, but I think we're all happy with it so far!

We're a rock / metal band. I'll get some recordings on here as soon as I can... the song we've written is very "Led Zeppelin - Rock 'N Roll" style, but most of us wanna go towards more metal stuff... I wanna add an element of funk if I can :)

So, what do you guys think to it?

2. nls666

nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    too bad...

Oxymoron is (was?) a well known German (oi!)Punkband

:(

It's a very nice bandname though...

Your music description sounds good, rock/metal/Led Zeppelin and bit of Funk (groove) most be an amazing combination... IMO

3. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Gah...

4. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

OK... we decided on "Project Mayhem" instead.

Has that been taken? I can't find anything on the 'net about it...

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    here's a couple suggestions:

mindbomb
    fuzzy bunny
    marble orifice
    sloppy psycho
    velvet vertigo

7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Fuzzbomb
    Mindbunny
    Velvet Psycho

The best bandnames are the ones that everybody thinks of as "ok, the best right now I guess...". After a couple months it's the best bandname you could imagine.

8. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

We've all went away individually and talked to our friends - everyone thinks Project Mayhem is a great name!

That link isn't a band though is it? Just a tribute to fight Club... that's where we came up with it from! Do any bands actually have that name?

Mayhem <> Project Mayhem ;P

The other one we came up with was "Hind D" - as in the attack helicopter... mainly because both the drummer and I are fans of the Metal Gear Solid series and it's in the first one...

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I posted a list of band names we actually considered on another thread (in Humor and Gig Stories, search for 'coolest and dumbest names') about band names. See if any of these give you ideas.

10. I always wanted a band called:

Furious Styles
    or
    Rock Reclamation Project

This website is cool. It is a band name generator. Just keep refreshing the page, and you can get some cool ideas.

11. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Yeah, I saw that website and went through it with my band mates for about 30 mins... nothing came up!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll have them take a look on Thursday... but I was looking more for some comments on "Project Mayhem" :)

12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Dude. Did you seriously research all of the names on a rejected band name list from the '80's? Seriously?

Back to the original poster...

'Project Mayhem?' It doesn't suck. It's no Glass House Carpenters, but then what is. :eyebrow:

13. The thing that bugs me about "Project Mayhem" is that it's similar to Tommy Lee's "Methods of Mayhem" side project from a few years ago. Oh well. Still not a bad name.

14. No, I just recognized that one

15. It's no Pink Unicorn Horsey.

16. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    The Extension Chords
    Surge Protectors
    Flux Capacitors
    Dyson Sucks
    The Huxtables
    The Great Cornholio
    :bawl:

17. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

There are many bands out there that have worse names!

It's not like we have aspirations to be famous or anything... just want something with impact!

Wrote my first song last night - very RATM. Need to put some lyrics to it yet though...

18. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Sorry, I have to correct you here. The metal gear:solid snake game on PS1 was not the first. It was the first in a long time. Don't forget the old nintendo version, either.