Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My band's new EP is done

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by LizzyD, Jul 15, 2005.

1. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    My band, Half Zaftig has just finished an EP. It will be available for purchase as a CD, but 4 of the 5 songs are available for free download right here.

I'd like to know what y'all think. I can give a run down of what gear I used if anyone cares. Not only did I do all the bass tracks, but a bit of guitar as well (mostly rhythm in right channel, some leads). Sang some backups too.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, considering it began life as simply a "demo".

Feedback, critique, opinions?

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Nice going, Lizzy! They're already queued in the download resumer, and I'll be giving them a listen asap tomorrow. I'm really interested in the changes from the Yogi "solo" versions, as ARF, Salve, and h-pd get a spin at least once a week.

...okay, I was able to grab "Firefly" before crashing and it sounds exactly like I thought it would - a stripped-down rendition of the album version... which is an absolute compliment, as taking a multilayered album and paring it down to the bare essentials without loosing the "spirit" is an incredibly hard task. You guys did a marvelous job. :D

Absolutely. However, as I read your .blog from time-to-time, I'll simply say one phrase;

"Black and gold both looks and sounds good" :smug:

A question - did the Satanic Turkeys make the record, potty mouth? ;)

3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I love how everything sounds. I seem to hear a little King's X influence in there, the lead vocals in particular sound a little Doug-Pinnick-y. Which is cool because I dig King's X.

Also, nice Star Wars reference. ;)

Being a gear junkie (and a home studio enthusiast always looking for others' experiences and methods), I for one wouldn't mind a gear rundown.

Re: Satanic Turkeys... I think I hear that at the end of You Fell... I remember watching that video clip on your site somewhere. :)

4. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    Ding ding ding ding! You are correct. :D And there is a definite King's X influence...in fact the last track on the EP is a King's X cover.

On Firefly and Throw Me A Bone I used my Pedulla Rapture P/J 5 string (I've since sold it - and it's for sale again in the classifieds). Sleeping is the Geddy Lee Jazz tuned down half a step, and the low string to D-flat. You Fell is my Roscoe LG 3005.

For all songs I had 3 tracks going for bass: one direct, one was my Demeter tube preamp/Stewart power amp into a mic'd SWR Goliath II, the third was my SWR Interstellar Overdrive/Peavey DPC1000 into a mic'd Bergantino HT112. Some pics.

You can hear all that hair on the bass on You Fell...that's the IOD turned up. :bassist:

I don't recollect exactly what preamps all these signals went through, but engineer Darin Di Pietro has a very nice collection of high end studio gear. The whole thing was recorded with Pro Tools. There's more discussion about his recording gear and methods at our band forum, in the "session diary" threads.

Glad you guys liked it! :hyper: