1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My band's NEWest release!! "Miss You" - rekapse + Poll

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by stephenleejp, Jul 17, 2012.

1. LOVE it!

47.6%
  2. Stellar!

23.8%
  3. pretty good

23.8%
  4. meh

4.8%
  5. Don't ever touch music again, please.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. stephenleejp

stephenleejp Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Virginia Beach

<br>

Attached Files:

2. stephenleejp

Apr 20, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    Don't forget to use the "poll"

3. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Wow, great song. Terrific vocal performance and awesome production.

4. stephenleejp

Apr 20, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    wow! thanks for telling me what you liked about it :)

5. Drop-D

Drop-D

Mar 23, 2009
    Kansas City
    I agree with what's stated above. The production is spot-on and the vocals really catch your ear. My fiance would like this. I'll let her check it out when she gets off work later.

Cheers!

6. stephenleejp

Apr 20, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    wish there was a "like" button.
    I'm going to share these positive responses with my band!

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Nuthin bad I can say about that. :) Tasteful simple playing too, that works excellently in the song.

8. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Very nicely done! A captivating voice, lushly layered parts, and great dynamic movement. I would disagree on the mix, though. A bit loose in the lows for me, that seems to be the current tonal pallet coming out of all the pop studios today. But don't listen to me. I think every album should have the bass presence of Joe Jackson's first 2 releases, and after the 90s, we should all be happy to hear the bass at all! :D

Good stuff, best of luck to you and the band :bassist:

9. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    LOVED IT!

But (and this is REALLY petty!), I see "Miss You" and I think of the Stones!

I told you it was petty!

X8

10. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    Great job, bro !

11. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Simply excellent on every level.

12. Pretty f'ing good - and I am pretty damn jaded.

Loved when you didn't play.
    Loved what you did play.

LOVED the singer. She can sing, I mean really SING.

Song reminded me a little of Incubus put through a contemporary christian pop filter, not sure if you guys are christian or not but something in the sound makes me think so. I could EASILY hear this on radio.

Nice work.

13. wong99

wong99

Jun 6, 2012
    Nicely done. Very POP commercial. A little formulaic but could easily get some air-play spins. Congrats on a job well done. A+.

14. stephenleejp

Apr 20, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    @bigfatbass - so true! when people tell me they liked my bass playing, I'm always like, "you could hear it?!?"

@agreatheight - weird, a friend of mine mentioned Incubus when he was describing our sound. I thought it was sort of off, but once I listened to incubus again, it totally made sense. And our sound going through some sort of CCM filter does make sense too. The producer is a Nashville guy that has done lots of CCM artists too.
    We hope this gets radio play.

Def tried to make this a "pop" song, so I agree with all the "pop" comments too :)

15. Miss You reminds me specifically of Dig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMsZ6wkZWhA

I don't think it's at all derivative, but there is something in each song that shares some common ground, in the space and the melody. Good stuff in each tune.

And I am glad you mentioned the Nashville, lol, I was going to make a mention of country but didn't because that didn't feel quite right, but Nashville does, lol.

BTW, I am going to use this song as an example during my lessons on space - when not playing can bring attention to when you are playing :).

Just finished listening to Daylight, another good song. I wish you guys the best!

16. elshunko

elshunko

Jun 25, 2010
    Good tone on your bass! Good job with the layering in the song. I liked it.

17. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

Jun 17, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Catchy tune, quality playing on the track by everyone. I really enjoyed the guitar tone as well, sonically it seemed much more carefully thought out than what I usually hear from "pop".

Don't take this the wrong way, cause it'll get you a nice paycheck, but I could see this being used in a TV show or movie very easily.

18. stephenleejp

Apr 20, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    Dude! I want it in movies and other mediums. That's so dope.

19. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Just a tip if you actually want to try submitting it for soundtrack/bed usage. Although it sounds like it is already nice and tight, the drums/tempo will need to be quantized for synching usage. I always feel like that kills the organic essence of music, but in this day of quick editing and massive content mills, you have to play to the digits. Otherwise, you cost them time they don't want to spend.

Best of luck with the project, and enjoy the ride!

20. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Since I am a no-talent hack, I can only give you a consumer's perspective.

Light alternative pop, although I think that alternative is the new pop.

Bass line was excellent. The measure of a bass player to me is the use of space/silence, not of notes. You killed it there!

I would have liked to hear a bit more clarity for the bass, but in all fairness, the genre supports this tone.

You guys clearly poured some heart and soul in to this. Great song that fits in to a multitude of markets.