1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my bands recorded some stuff

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by plastik-bass[?], Mar 1, 2008.

1. my band put 2 songs up today. they are recorded in our practice area so they arent that good...

the 1st song is a cover of "Even Flow" by Pearl Jam its a little sketchy but we recorded it when our guitarist was new and really didnt know the song

the 2nd is just an outline for a song we are making(our singer doenst have lyrics for it yet)

have a listen and tell me what you think

http://www.myspace.com/ir0ncurt4in

the outline takes a while to start...and alll of even flow doesnt play...

2. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Good start. You guys should work together playing to a click, there's some rushing and dragging in there. Can't really hear the bass through my laptop speakers but sounds like the guitar player has that smiley face EQ going on, tell him to boost some mids, he'll sound a lot better. Oh and you guys might think about tuning too. :)

I actually kind of like the sloppy feel of the original but I'm guessing you guys probably are going for more technical metal than the Motorhead feel. In that case, just keep practicing as a group, listen to all kinds of music not just metal and always listen to each other when playing. Cue off that.

3. we got this all recorded in the drummmers basement and havnt been working on it too long...we know we got some work to do but i just thought i would post it XD..and actually we are in tune...i dont know about during "Even Flow" but in the original we are but its in D standard

4. bump...i want input please....

5. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    I'll have to be honest; the riffs are boring, the drumming monotonous as well as repetive but perhaps the worst, I beg you forgive me for saying this, the bass sounds like ****. I recon it's because if many inconsistencies when playing (I myself got lots of inconsistencies, I recon everone (even the greatest of bassplayers) got trouble with that), and yet worse; your bass is out of tune!
    I'd suggest trying to make more than 2 riffs (you can have one riff played with more timesignatures (wrong term probably) you know, like right after intro in Dark Revelations linked in my signature) and tuning your bass. Furthermore, try being more humble next time; calling yourself the greatest band in Georgia with no hint of irony is such a complete lack of self-insight my palm has been suck on my forehead for more than 4 minutes now. Because you're not.

6. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I agree. Needs a lot of work and re-tuning.

7. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    and a new singer

8. lambro

lambro

Jun 1, 2004
    what empowered you to think this was ready to share with the public? Why waste a thread on this really?

No one in the band is holding a groove, technically there are intonation problems all over te map, everyone is still a beginner and lets leave it at that

not to mention you call yourself the greatest band in Georgia..

I cant wait to see the Dregs open for you

never let your need for approval and your ego dominate the requirements of musicianship!

9. lol 1st of all didnt make the site so cant blame me on that 1....2nd of all i know these need alot of work and i know the riffs are boring hell i think so my self too but they are the ones that decided to put em up on the myspace...as for me being out of tune...dont know how that happened i swear i tuned like 5 minutes before we recorded it D: the original is something that we literly came up w/ that practice so I wasnt expecting it to be great...im glad im not the only one that thinks the riffs get old and boring.....and as for the bass sounding like ****...there are a number of problems that could cause that...1. I've been playing the same set of strings for over a year(hopefully gettin new ones this week) 2nd. We are recording with 1 condenser mic. 3rd. its in our drummers basement which has no acoustics or anything, and everything is being recorded at the same time.. all with 100 watt max combo amps.

oh and noticed the horrible timing too XD

10. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    so wait, if you didn't like it either, why share?

PS good stuff XtreO

11. well the band said show it to as many people as possible and come back w/ their input....so thats what im doin...and so far...sadly i like what im hearing....cause im bored out of my mind playing this stuff....2 riffs the whole song D:

12. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    ah i get it

13. Jesus, cut the kid a break.... The drummer does sound like a beginner. I only listened to Even Flow, but that snare just never seems to come in quite right. I thought the singer did a decent job as Vedder... not all of us can be rock gods

Just keep playing and getting better! Hopefully you'll eventually be content with your own music, I know I waiting for that moment myself.

14. lol we are bumpin our guitarist anyway...he did a horribe job on even flow and the song was his(the original that is)....and he just isnt really up to snuff...i promise the next thing i post will be good....and we will spend more than one practice on it XD

15. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    Great you don't go all emo on us. If I may suggest it, I'd start with some very basic practise on your bass (and get new strings and tune them ^_^). Your job as a bassplayer is essentially keeping the beat, so you need every note to be dead on. I practise this a lot. I've only played for a year now, and decided to start working with three fingers so I can keep up on the 500 and up BPM-parts of our songs, and what I do is start with a metronome (it is a little 'drum simulator' http://www.metronomeonline.com/ ) at where I left it last time (say 150 bpm) and play quarter notes for 2 min then increase the metronome by 10 and try that speed. When I manage 10 bpm more, i put the metronome on say 50 and try hitting every note dead on the beats. It's extremely hard. Praticing slow and correct is extremely important.
    As for you developing your skills, I suggest checking the forums for advice. There's so much good stuff on how to get solid on the basics! Then maybe take it past the basics, but then you really should start learning musical theory. I, for one, know little musical theory :p It's certainly not a neccesity when playing songs and developing technique, but it enchance your understanding of what you play and makes it easier to make things fit with eachother.

Check out these threads mate;
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79878
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230685
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50170
    As well as the other learning-oriented threads out here :3 So much good stuff, so many experience players willing to share with newbies like us.

And the place I learned basic muscial theory; http://www.studybass.com/ . Such an awesome site.

Oh and if the guitarist is you friend, I'd suggest not ditching him :p You can get better together you know, as long as you both are determined to become better players. Having a guitarist to practise with is awesome! Then again he might not be your friend, and you might very easily find a new one.

16. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Ok I am listening to them now and uh, yeahhh, they are, um......have you ever noticed that one little jumping around character fella in the Smilies box over here to the right? Yeah, he is jumping all around....hello there, mister jumpy happy smiley guy...hello there...

17. skaismyhero

skaismyhero

May 21, 2006
    Dayton Ohio
    sweet you guys have a lot of the same influences as my band. Check us out if you've got some free time www.myspace.com/shakebase