Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my band's recording - too much bass??

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Mar 17, 2006.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Hey guys, this is an older tune of ours..My drummer mixed this song and he thinks the bass needs to come down. What do you think? Also, there is a slapping part in the song that I feel needs to be braught out more..I think that was just bad EQ. Anyways, opinions are welcome.

http://www.myspace.com/ontologyband

2. RoMeRz

RoMeRz

Feb 13, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I think it sounds fine. If anything I would change the mix of the singing. You can really tell that the singing has been recorded (if that makes sense) - sounds a little reverby at some points too.

Bass sounds fine though - could be brought up at points even.

3. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Thanks for the feedback. All of us in the band feel the same way about the vocals - too much reverb! It's a learning process.

4. Actually, I would say the bass needs to be brought up everywhere except during the chorus and guitar solo. Great song by the way and good mix overall.

5. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Thanks for the kind words...my producer (drummer) has this thing about having the bass stand out in a song...without slapping him upside the head, is there any other way I can change his mind?! :D

6. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    u turned me into a fan!! :D

7. Wait, there is such a thing as too much bass? I liked it.

lowsound

8. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I'm sorry, but if there's anything that's taking up too much room in the mix, it's the drums. The snare just sounds like utter ass (just being honest, no offense). It needs to crisp up A LOT.

The bass could use some compression, as some notes (an entire range, actually) seem to pop out more.

Do keep up the good work, don't mean to sound over-critical, just trying to help you. I did like it.

9. Pretty good song!

I think the level of the bass was ok, but I think the tone sounds a bit hollow - too much low/sub and not enough mids (maybe). I'd try to eq some punch into it and some woof out of it, it'll hopefully help tighten up the overall band sound a bit. Just my $.02...

Good luck!

10. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    The level of the bass is fine in the mix. I agree with the points about the eq already raised.
    Good song.