Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my band's recordings: ok or sla?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by scorpionldr, May 9, 2005.

1. check out my band at www.myspace.com/thebludgeoningnj. please be really honest and spot on about our recordings, are they ok for now or do they sound like ass and need to be revamped immediately. killing spree i know sounds bad. mess **** up sounds very mediocre. right now i'm using a boss bass pedal for distortion and a 1/4 line out from my amp. i'm questioning whether i should go out and get an xlr jack and then a 1/4 to xlr converter to give the signal some more room for volume (xlr won't clip as easily) for now. i'm planning on getting a new head when we start doing several gigs, but for now i think this isn't too bad. anyways, plz help me out guys

2. amused2KAOS

amused2KAOS

Apr 22, 2005
    i think the songs are great. but the recordings are pretty crappy. definitly turn it down and run it through a computer program of some sort. you can get a free recording program at www.download.com . try to get either wavepad or audacity, those programs can work miracles for how much you pay for them (which is nothing). also tell us what your recording with. you should probably use a track recorder and see if that would work better, or you could run it through a mixer before you record. you can get a cheap mixer from behringer for about 60 bux. i'll try to find a link for that. but in order to help you out with your recordings we need to know how your recording it.

3. right now I'm running my band through this: my drummer's (soon to be switching over to guitar if we ever find a new drummer) recording through one shure sm57, my vox is just using a crap 10 buck karaoke mic with a quarter inch converter, and i'm using the line out off my amp with a 1/4 inch jack. and i'm putting in distortion. we run into a yamaha digital 10/2 (aka 4 track mixer for $99) and send it into a tascam 4 track recording console from the head phone jack, the yamaha mixer's volume off the headphone jack very low like 1/4 volume, and the overall mixer turned down as far as levels go. the tascam's input volume is around 5 or 4 for the level. then once we set it to tape, we take teh headphone jack and stick it into the mic jack on my computer and record into sound recorder (we save it as "cd quality" for the format). then it's just converted to mp3, i think at 193k.

4. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Your bass tone is on the right track. Sound a bit muddy. I recommend using brass and stainless steel for all components on your bass. I agree, you need to find a better drummer. I noticed at about 1:50, the drummer completely lost timing. The type of music you want to play, you're gonna need a drummer with excellent timing. As a whole, sounds pretty good. You've got some contrast happening, which vital to keep the song interesting. I would put the contrast earlier in the song. About 30 to 40 seconds. Also, work on creating a hook for your songs. Something that will make people remember you.

5. ok, so the bass track is ok, but IMO it sounds like it's going to explode. will an xlr help this??

6. BUMP
    also, if i plugged my mixer into the mic jack directly into my computer, would that do anything?? does it have the potential to fry the output?

7. amused2KAOS

amused2KAOS

Apr 22, 2005
    i think that might help, it would sound more digital since your not recording onto a tape. it would also be easier to make your edits sound better. you could even try to record in different locations. ive found that home recordings that me and my friends do ussually sound pretty crappy but when we take my tape player to our local venue and record we get outstanding recordings. all i do is put it on top of their one of their cabs and record through the built in mic and it comes out perfect, even if they dont mic us during acuostic nights.try different things and you'll find what your looking for.

8. ok, sounds cool. i'm just cautious about it because I heard a friend of mine tried plugging his own mixer into a mic jack on a computer and it stopped working