Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My band's video, sans me

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xush, May 15, 2003.

1. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Here's a video my band just completed recently. It was filmed before I joined, so's I'm not in it (fortunately. The previous drummer was more video-friendly)

Big file, so be warned. If you have a fast connection it doesn't take too long.

These folks will be at the Gulf Coast Bass Summit at my studio in August, so check them out if you like.
    lilith video
    web site, video page

here's the band page:
    analog missionary site

I'm not on there either yet. I guess they're slow to update, or I'm really less photogenic than I realize!
    thanks for looking.

2. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Dawn dude !
    That clip is awesome !!

It's not really my type of music but the clip is very nice and the song too !!

How much did that cost ??

Are those actors or what ?

3. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Slow to update.....

Riiiiight.......

I also have a band I'm in. Its called U2, but I haven't been added to the site yet........

(I am just giving you a hard time by the way)

:D

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    good one!
    heh.
    These guys are a little Spinal Tap-ish in that they go thru a lot of drummers. I guess they're waiting to make sure I'm staying before I get any PR!

Icks, the 'writer' guy is a local actor, the 4 in the performance shot are the real band, including the drummer I'm replacing. That particular song is a little different than their usual style.

I don't think the video cost anything, they're friends with the production company. They made the video to submit to a film festival, which it won.

thanks for peeking at it.

5. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Really cool tune, btw.

Very interesting.

Don

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, very impressive, mark. what did they see in you? :eek: :D just kidding.

do you have an estimate of how much something like this would cost to have made?

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I'll find out how much. I was chatting with one of the Raven Seven Films guys at the show last night, but never thought to ask about that aspect. I'll check.

We're really wanting to get up to Atlanta for some gigs. Mostly working the coast and NO for now, and working in the studio on the next cd- but we'd sure like to pop up to your neck of the woods eventually.

I think they let me join cuz I gots more basses than them! Either that or they just love me for my V drums...

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, i'd love you for your v-drums too. they're awesome :D

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    well, come on down for the Bass Summit August 23/24 and I might just have to take you up on that!

10. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I can't download your video right now, because I have a 56k modem. But I'll download it tonight, when nobody calls.

I did, however, download Dirty Road a few days ago. Wow! Not what I expected (because of the reviews like "they turn a sheet of noise into melody", or something of the sort), but really good. I figured you'd be a little more prog or noisy, just based on the stuff that's written on the site (which would've been fine, I'm open-minded about experimental stuff). But, I thought it was fantastic! Musically, I love that wide space you (or the band, if you're not on that track) create! Almost like some of the more chilled-out Radiohead. I thought the singing lent an almost Tori Amos vibe to it (and I LOVE Tori Amos. And I'm not afraid to say it! I'm a guy and I like Tori!). Beautiful. I really look forward to being able to see you sometime (finally, living in New Orleans pays off). Great stufff, Mark! Unfortunately, the song only downloaded to about 8 minutes, so it cuts off before it's over. But that's okay. I'll definitely buy a cd when I see you guys.

I looked around the site awhile, and thought it was odd that you aren't mentioned... the only place I found you is on the message board. Very suspicious... :D

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Yeah, suspicious...ain't it? It's OK though, I kind of like being the undercover brutha.

I'll email you the setlist we do when we have to play some covers for a long show. You'll see plenty of Tori and Radiohead! I hope to ease them back towards some Rush and Yes and King Crimson, but it's definitely not really a 'heavy' band. There's a good bit of Zep on the list too though. Last night we played YYZ for sound check, and Immigrant Song during the set.

They did a screening of Nosferatu last year at the Mobile Saenger Theatre that went over pretty well. We're looking into bringing it to the NO Saenger this year maybe. They worked up a whole soundtrack to it. She plays a mean Theramin too!
    thanks for checking it out.

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    DLing the video now...
    In the meantime:
    Where did y'all play last night? Why was I not aware of this?! More input later when the video is DLed.

13. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Mark, That is an awsome video, loved the song!

Kudos, and I wish you the best of luck.

:bassist:

14. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    OK, so there's finally some proof now, Taylor:
    [​IMG]

15. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Weel, that's... conclusive...

I don't know how it looks on your computer, but the only face I can see is the singer's. But I'll take your word for it. :D

I pm'd you back, by the way. I'm listening to Biscuit right now, pretty loud and with the bass on full. My downstairs neighbors probably don't like me much.

So how is your band? I mean, what are they like? Intense/laidback? Would you be friends if you weren't in the band with them? Come to New Orleans dammit!

16. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    hehe, I thought I was being funny, but I guess it didn't translate. On my monitor you can see a little dark blurry spot where my face is.
    Trust me, on my computer it's funny.

We're planning some NO gigs ASAP, I'll keep you posted. Whereabouts are you in NO?

I'd say they are both intense AND laidback, in several ways. They are intent on making powerful music, and take it very seriously, and are quite meticulous in the studio. The live thing is still being developed, we need more stage presence I think.

The singer is just so cheerful and upbeat, really a joy to be around. I hit it off very well with the bassist too, how can you not talk tech and have a good time. The guitarist and I share too many spooky coincidences in our pasts and present, it really is weird; so yah, I'd say I'd get along fine with these guys either way. Very creative/artist, but very humble too. Perfect mix. I would definitely be a huge fan whether I'm involved or not. This is the only time I've been content to play some covers in the set; they have impeccable taste as far as I'm concerned. Perfect fit. Me likey!

They'll be at the Bass Summit here, so if we don't get to NO before that, maybe we'll see you here?

here, maybe this one's a little better:

17. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Sorry I'm a dolt. :D

I live uptown. Right off magazine. Just a couple blocks away from Trent's studio. My dad lives right next door (to Trent).

Sounds like a cool group of people. I wish I was in a band with that sort of dynamic (kind of wish I was in a band, period). It's tough to find people with whom I connect both musically and socially. There are some guys that are basically on the same wavelength as I, musically, except they're more into Pink Floyd and I'm more into... I guess, Sigur Ros. But we'd probably make great music together, if we didn't clash so much socially.

I've got to work on stage presence more, too. Being unnoticable is great for the solo gigs at an art gallery, but the few club gigs I've done were... less than energetic. But, then, I wasn't playing music I was really into then, so you never know.

I did get laughed at when I subbed in for a band's bassist at a bar on the west bank (is that supposed to be capitalized?). I had to use this other guy's bass, and he was a little short, and I'm 6'1" or 2", and his strap made the bass hang pretty high (not up to my chin or even fusion height, just not down to the knees as these crap-metal guys were used to). A couple of guys were laughing their asses off. The singer for the band who lent me the bass explained the situation to them, and then I played Schism as a soundcheck (my only real "shut uppa you face" song, nothing virtuosic), and they stopped laughing. But it wasn't a great episode for me.

Besides that, I've been told I "fulfill the bass player role", which is that I "stand off on the side and look cool" which seems like a backhanded compliment, but whatever.

18. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Now who wouldn't love V-Drums.. they have volume knob!! :D :D

19. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    oops, my V-drums grew again

20. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Just squeeze in a microwave by the left cymbal section and that would be an excellent kit! ;)

Your singer has a very Beth Gibbons look in that picture...

Mark, I particularly like how conversations that involve you tend to go completely off track. :D