Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Bartolini story..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hi all!

I asked a question here some months ago regarding Bartolini pickups to replace my stock pickups in my Fender Jazz V MIA.

Well, I did some research and decided on a pair of Bartolini 57J1L/S from Brian at www.bestbassgear.com
    I would like to thank Brian for his prompt answers and service, it was excellent all the way!

I´m pretty much all thumbs with a soldering iron so a friend of mine installed them for me.

I have now been playing with the Barts for about two months and I haven´t had a moments doubt about if I did the right thing.

They beef up my sound considerably. For instance, the treble isn´t as tinny as it was with the stock pickups and the all around sound is much fatter and has more meat on it.

I did notice a slight tendency for boosting the mids but that was promptly fixed with height adjustment on the pickup.

I´m one happy customer now I´m glad I made the jump!

Here´s a pic of my baby with the new Barts :D

[​IMG]

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I hear ya... I replaced the stock pickups in my recently sold MIM Fretless Jazz and the difference was huge... Not that the MIMs were necessarily terrible, (the quality on these were vastly improved over the cheese that came in my '92), just not what I was looking for in my fretless... Nice score for you... if the sound fits, then you're way ahead, IMO!!

-robert

3. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Nice.

I'm planning on dropping a set into my 4 string J w/ NBTB preamp. I can't wait.

It's rare to see any mention of Bart J's on the board. Not too many people seem to have experience with them. I've heard them on a few basses and they sound smokin'. They're also stock for a lot of high end J's - Pedulla, Modulus Genesis w/ similair models in Warriors, Zons, etc..

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Cool! I dig the sound of Bartolini Jazz pickups too.

One thing I've noticed is that the Bart pickup in my bass didn't stay 'new' looking for long. The casing is easily scratched if you are not careful. I'm careful with mine, but I took it to a guy for a jack replacement and they managed to mark it up a little. No matter...sound is what it's for!!!

5. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    My criticism of the EMG sound is that it's too 'dry' sounding.

From a bass player's perspective, I really dig their clarity but from a music lover's perspective I'm hearing the bass guitar fitting into the mix differently than the way EMG's do. I'm looking for a balance of clarity, warmth and depth.

We'll see how the Barts, work out...

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hmmm, I don´t quite remember. I followed a guide from www.mrgearhead.com I´m now starting to think that I misunderstood some of that info.

But I´ll check tonight. Your info makes more sence so I´ll try that :)

Thanks for the tip! :)

7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Excellent!
    How much did you pay for it? (in krónur..) I have been thinking about buying pickups for my Yamaha..

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'd be very interested in hearing that. After my MEC's died, I went with an all barts system. The sound wasn't for me, I found it muddy. I tried a bunch of other pickups (dimarzio, carvin, emgs) before recently settling on Seymour Duncan Active Jazz 5 pickups.

Now, my Elrick is all barts and sounds great. So I think it's horses for courses. But plenty of people have recommended All Barts setup for Warwicks, so it obviously works for some people.

9. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    You know David, that's a really good point.

Some basses and applications are just better suited for different PU's.

My comment about EMG's was definitely a generalization.

10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Með vaski og alles var þetta eitthvað um 12þúsund kr.

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    that'll definitely be interesting, in my experience the bart preamp was responsible for most of the 'wooliness' I heard. So maybe you'll be fine with the Barts & Aguilar.

How did you wire up your Warwick & Aguilar? Did you drill an extra hole? I had EMG's in previously, with an OBP-3, and had stacked vol/vol pot, mid pot and stacked bass/treb pot.

When I put in the SD's, I reverted back to an old U-Retro preamp I had lying round as I didn't have an appropriate impedance stacked vol / vol pot lying round to use with the obp-3. I didn't want to drill an extra hole in my Warwick until I was absolutely sure I'm sticking with the SD's.

As to the EMG/SD comparison, the SD's are definitely warmer than the EMG's - less sharp in the high end. I had to buy two 3.75" bridge length pickups, the SD Active 5 string Jazz set they sell has the shorter 3.62" neck pickup in it.

12. Lindy Fralin pickups are also very good. I have them in my Lakland Joe Osborn and although they are supposed to sound like Fender pickups, they sound like the real 1964 pickups that were on the the originals. Man they are so sweet. I turely love the tones. :D

13. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, so are you saying you have blend and volume, or you have no blend and wired both pickups into a single 25k volume pot?

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Makes sense to me, just wanted to make sure that's what you meant. I have thought about this, since I do usually have the blend on center anyway.
    I have that thought often myself :)

15. Bekkeland

Bekkeland

May 16, 2003
    Sandnes, Norway
    My Barts are on their way.
    Have a mia Jazz V with a J-retro.
    I'll let you know what this sounds like as soon as they're in place!

16. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Glad to hear it! Sounds like my problem was due to the Bart preamp.

17. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, so I decided to try this out - the barts plus obp-3. I've previously posted stories about how I hated the all barts setup, but over the months I've narrowed that down to the Bart preamp. I decided to give the pups another go.

Prior to this, I had a good think about how I've used my Thumb over the years. My Thumb 5 is a '90, with the pickups way far back near the bridge. Generally I've had the blend on 50/50, sometimes favoring the neck slightly or sometimes the bridge slightly but rarely using the extremes.

I wanted a high output from the pickups, with good bass and low mid to counteract the treble you get from having the pickups so far back. After recently getting a Fender RB5, and loving the tonal versatility I got from the series/parallel switching available on it I thought I'd try the same thing out on my Warwick

So I put the obp-3 in, one concentric pot with bass/treble and one with mid. The mid freq switch is staying in the cavity for now. I then wired both pups into a single master volume pot via an attached DPDT switch for push/pull selection of series/parallel operation.

Firstly, the barts did sound really good with the obp-3 in parallel mode. But when I put them in series, wow. More output obviously, but some great cutting low mids and less treble. I'm taking the thumb to rehearsals tonight, I'll report back later... I also have a set of J5 pups from Carey Nordstrand which I might try out to A/B them with the Barts.

18. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    OK, so it's early days yet, and I still have to gig this thing out but it sounded great at rehearsals through the studio's DB659 and bergantino 322. It cut through, but still had a fat low end.

Given the eq flexibility of the obp-3, I can't see me using it in parallel mode but I'll leave it wired up with the option just in case.

I think I'm going to run it at 18v - I was coming close to getting distortion at high volumes in series mode, but not parallel.

19. Bekkeland

Bekkeland

May 16, 2003
    Sandnes, Norway
    Finally got my Barts installed on my
    MIA Fender Jazz V
    The bass allready had a J-Retro installed. This bass now has lots of different KILLER SOUNDS. From 95% P-bass to Jaco, and everything in between. I can play with 1 pickup with allmost no noise.

The pickups (and my technique) needed some adjustment though. The D and G string where very loud compared to the original pups. At first I felt the A string was a little weak, but after a couple of weeks of playing, it doesn't.
    The pups sounds shoother then the Fenders, and I finally got rid of the somewhat harsh upper mids.
    Nice doing business with www.bestbassgear.com
    The pickups where here (Sandnes - Norway) in about 10 days.

:)

20. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Cool!

I´m glad you dig your Barts as much as I dig mine! :)