1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My bass abuses me, I'm in an abusive relationship.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fro0d, May 8, 2006.

1. Fro0d

Fro0d

May 7, 2006
    I am fairly new to the world of bass. I got one for christmas, and have picked up fairly quickly (I think:eyebrow: ).

While I play, I find I have to take a quick break because my left thumb(the one on the fretboard) hurts too much, rather than what I figured would hurt: the fingers.

Is this normal for everyone? Is it just my playing technique? Is everyone different? Do you have any suggestions to lesson or get rid of this problem? :confused: :confused: :confused:

On a side note, who knows any good TAB sites other than www.bassmasta.net or www.ultimate-guitar.com ?

Thanks for your time, it is much appreciated!

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Its technique. Either you're pressing your thumb into the back of the neck and thats why its hurting, or your bass is too low slung, and you need to shorten your strap.

3. And on a side note, you should learn standard notation. It's not as hard as it wold seem. Congrats on playing bass, it will be long and painfull, years from now you will look back and realize how much time you poured into this that could have been spent on other things. And the great part is, you wont care.

end prophesey

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    It could also be your hands getting used to playing bass. But pay close attention to Toasted's suggestions.
    Even if it is just reading chord charts. It gets easier from there.

5. What are you doing with your left hand? Are you pressing with the tip of your thumb, or the pad?

6. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    the thumb of the fretting hand should be behind the fretboard, not over it. that's absolutely something you should get used to as early as possible.

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    +1

8. Ok first thing, at least for some of the basics, get a teacher. there's a million things about technique which you need someone with experiance to help teach you.

Although your left thumb, make sure it isnt gripping the bass like a guitarist would. have it about midway down the next going straight up (like a right angle) and when moving your hand to differant positions keep your thumb at the right angle.

PS: Check out Guitar Pro and Power Tabs for learning music. Guitar Pro is better (comes with drums, lead, rythm all sorts of other instruments in the same file), but both come with both tab and stander notation for bass.

as an end note: learn scales, and learn the notes of your fret board like the back of your hand, it helps when improvising or jazzing up a song and making it more interesting.

9. Absolutely not, you should never be in pain when playing bass. Left hand should use weight of arm, gravity, and momentum to keep the strings depressed. Go ahead and try just letting your arm sling down and use as little pressure as possible to hold down the strings. YOu should not use your thumb as a vise to depress a string. A teacher will answer all questions and you should have one anyways when starting IMO. Good luck

Also check out the technique forum. You should be using that for technique questions. Dirty dirty cheater. Also note there's a tabs section of the forum. Go figure huh?

10. Check out mxtabs.net. Good site and big as well.

lowsound

11. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I believe mxtabs is now defunct. One of the best sites I've found for tabs since then is http://www.911tabs.com/ But to make full use of every tab on there, you may want to look into downloading either Power Tab Editor, or Guitar Pro.

12. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
  13. TBalls

TBalls

Mar 18, 2005
    Boston
    I definitely agree that you should never have pain while playing bass, but I think I had the same problem when I first started. You're probably gripping the neck too tightly, but as you practice your technique will improve and you'll build strength in your hand -- this will allow you to relax your muscles more and avoid the pain.
    Of course, getting lessons would also help you on your way to better technique. And you should consider stretching & warming up your hands before you play.

14. Fro0d

Fro0d

May 7, 2006
    I do have lessons, and I just started learning standard notation and the circle of fifths, and such. Thanks for the help!

P.S. My thunb is always on the neck, not above or around.

-EDIT- Still got the pain... -_- i tried the 90 degree angle and such.