Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My bass altering adventure (with pic)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brilliant Fool, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Ok, here's the deal - I have a squier (yech, I know) 5 string which was recently converted to fretless. It played, and sounded, fine but I had a problem with the action: it was too high! Even when the saddles were riding the bridge, the action was at least 1/4"-1/2" (just guestimating) off of the fretboard.

I gave it a lot of thought, and I thought it'd be fun to take the bass apart and make a route where the bridge goes, in turn lowering the entire bridge about 1/4".

Here was my dilemma: I'm 16, I'm unemployed and I have no real knowledge of tools and whatnot.... but so far my 'project' is working.

With little more that a steak knife, a screwdriver and sandpaper (80 grit) I've managed to make a route that's almost flat and I've begun to strip off the paint with sandpaper.

I made this post because I'm so damn proud of my project :p and because I figure there's some really knowledgeable people on this forum. So... critique, offer advice, or just say something. I appreciate any feedback in advance. :D

-Dante

(I know the bass looks like a mess in the picture, but I literally just put it down to come make this post... it looks better when it's not so dusty ;))

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    thats cool plenty of us do things like that!

check this out:

[​IMG]

RRRR mu current project... it WAS white!

3. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    It would have been a lot easier to adjust the neck or shim it.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    You mean you didn't try to adjust the truss rod first?!?!

:eek: :confused:

5. The problem wasn't the neck at all.

When it was defretted the nut was sanded down and the bridge was put as low as it could go... which still left the action waaay too high.

Do you see what I'm saying?

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    First thing that popped in my head when i read this thread. I bet the neck was just warped.

7. What do you mean by 'shield everything'?

</ignorant>

The bridge was grounded beforehand, I just took out the grounding wire (?) and fixed the route. So when I'm ready to re-assemble it I'll just pop the wire back in and under the bridge. :)

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    BF..I know what you are saying. You do know that the trussrod adjusts the relief in the neck, which raises or lowers the action, right?

9. Lol, yea, I knew that. I made sure the neck was fine before I started carving the body up. ;)

10. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    "When it was defretted the nut was sanded down and the bridge was put as low as it could go... which still left the action waaay too high. Do you see what I'm saying?"

I don't. Was the action screwed up before it was defretted?

11. The action was a bit high to begin with, typical squier setup.

I was able to deal with the action when the frets were in, but now that they're not the action felt quite a bit higher.

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    It's just a project bass, so have fun, but the normal procedure for that problem (neck is straight but action is still high) is called shimming. You put cardboard or similar material in the neck pocket under the neck and it raises the whole neck closer to the strings.

13. That would've been a bit easier... I suppose.

But, yea, it's a project bass. :D

14. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    a steak knife? awesome. :D

15. I built an entire house with a Leatherman tool.

16. This link doesn't work!

[​IMG]
    Treena

17. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I killed a man using only my eyelashes.

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I mind melded with FiElDy.

19. I......I......got nuthin"

[​IMG]
    Treena

20. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i can't believe this thread..i just can't believe it.......

steve