Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My bass broke! Any ideas what happened?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ambolina, Oct 4, 2004.

1. ambolina

ambolina Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego, Ca
    We played a show on Friday and during the last 30 seconds we blew the fuse our 2 amps were plugged into. We finished the set with some awesome air guitar and antics, but when I went to practice Sunday, my bass was dead silent. Checked my amp with another bass and it played fine. Checked the cable. No problem. Changed the batteries in my bass (even though the ones in there were only 2 weeks old). Didn't help. Still dead silent.

Could blowing the fuse somehow have surpassed hurting my amp and went straight to the electronics in my bass? I'm taking it in tomorrow, but I'm too curious to wait to find out if something really bad happened so I thought I'd see if anybody here had a guess.

Also, has anybody dealt with sending stuff back to Fender based on the warrenty when they've had problems like this? Does it take forever? I'd rather just have the repair shop fix it, but if it's gonna be expensive, I might as well make use of my warrenty and borrow a bass for our next couple of shows. I have a American Deluxe P-Bass, btw. If you were curious.

Rock.

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I am no engineer or expert, but it sounds like you might have fried the active electronics. Is there a way you can bypass the active electronics and run in passive mode? That might tell you something.

3. tommysalami

tommysalami

Jul 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    That's a tough one. The best thing to do would be to get the bass checked. I can't believe you would have hurt the preamp with the amplifier being okay, but anything's possible the way the power grid is today. Good luck!!

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    You'll find that while opinions and individual experiences vary, most people are not particularly fond of Fender's customer service.

As far as your bass goes, I would be surprised if the blown fuse had damaged your bass, but it's not impossible. Take the cavity cover off, and look for broken solder joints or loose or shorted wires. Solder joints break more often than I would like, particularly those connected to the input jack. Beyond that, you probably are better off taking it in. I would be willing to pay a little money to avoid sending it in and having it fixed under warranty. You'll have to pay for shipping, and there's no telling when you get the bass back.

5. funkmuffin

funkmuffin

Aug 18, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    My Ibanez did this in a 3rd set one night. No weird electrical issues involved, but the problem was that one of the leads from the battery broke off the solter on the input jack.

Since its an active-only, that meant no sound at all. No wonder my custom has a bypass, JIC.

6. Must be something that got unsoldered. Better open it up and check out what's up under the hood. Hopefully nothing else fried.

7. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    ambolina, are you the girl playing bass on Secret Apollo? If so then you rock. Great songs, great bass. :bassist:

8. ambolina

ambolina Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego, Ca
    Thanks for all your opinions...I'm dropping it off at a repair shop that's been good to me. I'll let you all know what happened (hopefully nothing too horrible! I barely bought this puppy in April!).

And yes Special Ed, I'm the bassist for Secret Apollo. =)

9. ambolina

ambolina Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego, Ca
    For the curious - turns out it was just a wire that had not been sodered properly to whatever it was sodered to at the factory (I need to learn more about the insides of my bass!). I'm so glad my circuit board wasn't fried! Had little to nothing to do with the blown fuse at our show. Just coiencidience.

And anybody in San Diego looking for a repair shop - go to The Repair Zone! Fred & Andy are awesome and they get stuff done quick (24 hour turn around for me, even though they were super busy).

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    This problem is far too common. I fixed a friend's bass recently that had that same problem.

11. I'm from SD too and I was just about to suggest that to you... Fred ROCKS!!! he's been working on my stuff for YEARS now and he builds some killer instruments too!!!! I'm a die hard Fender player and his line of Naked Guitars nails the Fender vibe like no other!! Checked out your site too, if i wasn't playing Blind Melons on the 22nd i'd come check out yer show... SD Rules!!