1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My bass came back damaged!!! What to do?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I sold a bass to a guy on another forum. He received it, and then told me that there was a misaligned tuner, and also that the nut didn't fit (this is a nut that was pre-installed on a Fender licensed neck btw). I've put photos below, so you can see for yourself.

So he said he wanted to send it back. Fine, fair enough I thought. I wasn't aware of any problems with it when I sold it so as long as he paid shipping both ways, he could send it back and I'd refund him.

It arrived back today (about 20 minutes ago) and there's an inch-long nasty looking imperfection on the bit where you rest your arm. I've put a photo below of just before I posted it, and another that I just took.

I know it's a slightly roadworn bass, and I may be a little pedantic, but this is not acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

What shall I do? I haven't refunded him yet, or even messaged him. I wanted to get some advice from you guys first.

Here are the tuners - I don't see any misalignment

IMG_1849.

The nut, which is a very good fit

IMG_1855.

Here's the before:

IMG_1856.

And after:

IMG_2048.

Close ups

IMG_2055.

IMG_2056.

2. Ouch. Definitely doesn't look like it was done during shipping....plus if it was damaged during shipping not only would the box be crushed, the pieces of finish would be all in the box.. How did he pay, paypal? I would talk to him about it and ask him what happened. Then come up with a reasonable solution. I wouldn't refund him all of the money if he admits to it being his fault. Just my .02.

3. E tuner does look slightly cockeyed - very slightly

Nut - I guess I would agree the E string should be a little more inboard and the G a little more toward the edge - again very slightly

The gouge looks like maybe the paint is really checked and flaking at this point - sort of goes with the theme already there - maybe he thinks the paint is ready to fall off

I would refund the dude and move on

4. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    It came back in the box it was sent in, and that has no damage at all. And there are no pieces inside the box.

I know it's the same box, because it has the same stickers on, and he's also stuck my address on a piece of paper that I wrote over his.

He paid by paypal gift.

5. One last thing - are those tuners the ones that came on that neck? - it looks like filled in mounting holes above the tuners

?

6. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    You can see in the first photo that there's no damage at all to that bit - the finish is dead smooth.

7. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Nah, I bought the neck by itself, only the nut was installed.

The tuners are SX, and the previous owner had Squier tuners on it.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Yea, I used to run an electronics warehouse, the first thing you check is the styrofoam inside the box, if it's damaged it was shipping, it wasn't damaged it happened outside the box.

He is fine to return it for the above mentioned reasons, but that chip out of the paint is a serious issue, even if it is road worn. Doesn't look like this is going to be a fun week for you my friend, best of luck and hopefully the buyer isn't a d!ck.

9. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    That is one sexy bass , maybe you should keep it after all ?

10. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I would not refund any money.

11. BTW - this thread is in Bass humor and Gig stories

?

12. Triangle

Triangle

Jan 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    80-90% refund? Given the previous road worn state.
    If it was in near perfect condition before, I'd have said no refund though.

13. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    You are correct :D

I couldn't really think of a better place for it.

14. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Sure, adding damage to an already damaged paintjob is kinda like kicking a dent into a beat up truck, but that's a nasty scar!

The tuners look close enough for me, but what's the story with the crack in the fingerboard that runs through the nut? If that wasn't disclosed in the sale, I would send it back too.

15. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    There's no crack. Just a bit of discolouration in the wood. Been there from new.

16. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I would tell him to make a claim with the shipping company if he believes the damage is from shipping but otherwise, I would tell him that he owns it.

Even stores with a generous return policy require the item to be returned in the same condition that it was sold.

17. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Well, I messaged him to ask what happened, and he said they were there when he received the bass. I don't really understand, as they weren't there when it left me, and the box is undamaged. I guess neither of us can really prove it either way.

18. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    IMO the tuners look fine but the neck looks mis-aligned..... look at where the E & G strings sit where the neck meets the body compared to where the E & G line up on the nut..... again just my opinion....

Edit: the E tuner does look a little off but no big deal.....

19. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    It seems highly unlikely that he would complain to you of problems with a tuner and the nut that are at best marginal, and not mention that the the bass had a giant, undisclosed gash on the front of it.

20. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Looking at the tuners and the previously-drilled holes, it does look to me like the E tuner is rotated slightly clockwise from how it should be.

The nut looks okay to me. I can see what SolarMan is saying, though. But, I tend to have more trouble with pulling my G string off the side of the board than pushing the E string off, so I would consider that a "feature". :)

As for the new damage, it seems to me that, if the buyer 'fesses up, then you should be able to agree on a reasonable amount to withhold from his refund. I wouldn't expect that amount to be too much. I mean, really, how much difference in price are you going to get for that bass, selling it now with the new damage, versus what you get if it went back on the block without that damage? Or, to put it another way, how much are you going to discount the bass now, on the next sale ad, versus what you were asking before? If it was me, I wouldn't be knocking much off the price, compared to before, based on that one new scratch/gouge.

If he doesn't 'fess up, then I'd say you eat the damage, give him a full refund, be thankful that it didn't start as a pristine bass, and give him appropriate Feedback here, with just the facts.