Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my bass feels too stiff

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by lin fung, Oct 10, 2002.

1. lin fung

lin fung Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2002
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I play a clevinger EUB which I've had for about one year. Although it is in most respects a very high quality instrument I find that I have to work much too hard to play it as compared to a high quality acoustic double bass (especially close to the nut). It seems somewhat stiff.
    I changed the original spirocore weichs for Corelli 370s because I was told they are much more pliable, but the improvement is insignificant.
    The string height at the nut seems fine, and I've lowered the action to the minimum non-buzzing height, but the strings still feel too stiff and rigid. I want to find a way to make the strings feel softer and more pliable.

What adjustments can I make?

Should I try gut strings?

Why does the feeling of tension/pliability differ between two properly setup basses?

How can I set up my bass for maximum feeling of pliability?

Thanks.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Get it to a luthier. The curve on the fingerboard could be wrong, etc.

Just to change the feel? Prolly not. If a different sound is what you seek, then this is a better reason to drop the big bux.

String length, the response of the instrument, the sound. For me, if a bass sounds bad, then it never plays comfortably. A great sounding bass will hide the fact that it might be set up stiff...
    Get thee to a luthier.

3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Mr. Parker speaks wisely...sounds to me like there is probably too much camber (scoop) in the fingerboard, and/or the nut is too high. You should barely be able to squeeze a business card under the strings at the nut. As far as getting a pliable feel, it could have to do with the relationship between the sounding length of the string and its afterlength (the part between bridge and tailpiece). Most EUB's have a steep bend after the bridge, because the body is short. Raising the saddle up might help a little. Also, keep in mind that setting the strings vibrating on a mass of essentially solid wood is way different than on an acoustic (hollow) instrument.