Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my bass has a disease, is it new

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ryan morris, Dec 21, 2000.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    i play my bass every chance i get so much that it is starting to develop a problem. the strings are cutting into the frets. espicially my lighter guage ones. either 1. these are some serious strings 2. the frets are made out of solder or lead, or3. i press too hard. anyone else have a problem like this with their frets?

2. dot74

dot74

Aug 24, 2000
    Try to lighten up with your fretting hand.....this might just be what cures it.....if it doesn't then try some flatwounds or nylon covered strings.....at the very worst, you might want to have yer bass re-fretted(?)or de-fretted(?).

What kind of strings are you using now?

3. I have heard some people talk about this happening with steel strings. I use them (Blue Steels)and have never had this problem, but maybe I'm just lucky. If this is the case, you may want to switch to nickel wound strings. This should help to alleviate the problem somewhat.

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Ryan -

What you're referring to is a normal part of the wear and tear on your frets if you use roundwound strings. Nickel strings will take a bit longer to do it, stainless steel a bit faster. What you'll need to do the rectify the situation is find a GOOD repairman (ask the players in your area who they use) and get what's called a fret dress. Most frets will survive 3-4 fret dressings before needing replacement. Just consider it to be a maintainence thing for your bass, like rotating the tires then having to eventually replace them. Things that get banged on wear out, that's life :).

5. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    well i got this 5 string sammick about 2 months ago and have been playin the hell out of it. i don't know what kind of strings are on it, but i was thinkin about having it profesionally defretted and then putting some half, or flatwounds on it. what would you suggest?

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    2 months? those are some lame frets.

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    well that´s the problem...Samick is a cheap bass and can´t handle the use you are giving it...

it´s still christmas time...maybe you deserve a New or Used Bass that should last you longer than the one you have.

If you are short in money, A Fender MIM should give you some years of playing without that problem.

or as you say, Re-Fretting it with good durable frets.

8. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    i knew nothing about sammick when i bought the bass used. i just loved the look, feel, sound. it still works out ok, but i don't know if i should try de-fretting it, or should i try getting a new/used fender jazz frettless. and what kind of stuff do you know about sammick?

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Ryan -

I've played some Samicks that were awful, and some that were very nice. If you like your bass, it's worth the effort and time to either get a fret dress or refret and make it playable. A lot of people that post here play Samick products and are unaware of it, for example a majority of the basses that Ibanez, Cort, and Dean sell are made under contract by Samick.