Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My bass has a high action and a low action

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bassman_Spike, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Hi All,
    My bass has a low action (almost perfect from my liking) around the 1st fret but it just keeps getting higher and higher down the fretboard making it hard for me to play the up the higher frets.

Is there a way to even out the action, i dont want the action near the 1st fret to go any lower because i dont have the skill yet to control the fret buzz.
    My Teacher suggested getting a different nut one that is higher and that should help even it out.

So hopefully someone can help me with this

Thanks

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. Thanks for that JMX...i dont really want to try doing a setup myself yet though...especialy seeing i have only 1 bass

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    We can't help you because you've limited your own options to zero. If your bass is out of adjustment and you don't want to adjust anything, you're pretty much stuck.

I wouldn't put too much faith in what your teacher advises because he's way off base about this being a nut problem. There are good teachers that don't profess to know anything about setup.

Find yourself a good repairman and explain to him that you're on a tight budget. If you present yourself properly, I believe most would cut you some slack.

I don't know what your mechanical skills may, or may not be so I wont tell you to start cranking things around on your bass. If you could put together a model airplane, you probably can do 90% of the adjustments that will ever be needed on your bass.

Good luck.

5. I think what your Teacher was thinking is that if you could raise the string height at the nut, you could then lower the string at the saddles and get a better "overall" height across the fretboard, but that's not the answer.

I agree with the rest. You've got too much neck relief (a common thing with bass necks), and it needs to be tightened.
    Once this "bow" in the neck is pulled out somewhat, the string height at the higher frets will go down, and you might even have to lower your height at the saddles to get it where you want it. The difference is like night and day. After it's done, you'll wonder how you ever played with the neck set the old way.

If you can get to a music shop, they should be able to do this for you without charging an arm and leg.
    By the way.. what bass are you playing on?

Mag...

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    *checks profile* Spector Performance series. not a bad bass, should play nicely once setup correctly.

7. I did one last night using the garywillis setup site and it all went well. As long as you aren't careless you shouldn't have a problem.

8. Thanks for the help guys....i was planning to take to a shop but i just wanted to know what might be causing the problem so i new what to say the to the guitar techs...anways i let you know how it goes