Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Bass Has A Toothache

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ebozzz, Oct 2, 2002.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Well, I discovered a high fret on one of my basses a few weeks back. :( I took her to the doctor and he prescribed a job of releveling all of the frets. I should be able to have this done for $60.00 or less. I'm just curious. How have some you dealt with this problem when it has occured? Is the above prescription pretty typical?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    60$ seems to be ok. Yes, it's pretty typical.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks JMX. She's getting the needed dental work done and I should have her back by next week. :)

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IME - That tech/luthier is trying to do the right thing. A partial refret often costs about $70 per fret.

Some don't want to mess with the pain of measuring all of your frets and getting the high fret or two filed down and polished so that it aligns with the other frets.

Don't be too surprised the tech/luthier finds that they need to do some work on the nut, too.

Some techs/luthiers wouldl just tell you it needs a total refret, (which lets them hit you for some really heavy cash).

There is a process call "fretmill" that is better than the traditional filing-down process. But that usually starts at about $150 as it includes leveling. recrowning, and polishing.

Just don't leave the shop until you've tried it out and you are sure you're satisfied with the job.

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks for the info. I've used this person on several occasions and I have to say I believe that he has a great deal of integrity. He's even talked me out of doing a few things that I had planned because he just didn't feel that it was worth it. Great guy.

I've always tried to make sure everything was the way that it should be before leaving his shop but there have been a couple of instances where I felt more work was needed. I called him up to explain what I thought was lacking and he took care of me. I had to work around his schedule when doing that but I've got other basses that I can use.

I would say that a very important prerequisite, after finding someone who has the skills & knowledge, is finding a person that you can deal with. I've got a good relationship with him and it definitely makes it a lot easier for me to take my axes to him. It took me a while to find him but it was worth the wait. ;)