1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My bass is buzzing HELP!!!!!!1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by garretibanez, Apr 30, 2009.

1. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

I just got a new bartolini eq and pickups and sometimes it buzz sometimes it doesnt my teacher said its a loose ground wire? It only buzz when my hands are not touching the strings, knobs, bridge. Its not really a problem but kinda annoying im really wondering why is sometimes buzzes and sometimes doesnt.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It is a grounding issue. Did you install the new electronics yourself? Something came un-done. If you can't fix it, take it to a repair shop. Should be an easy fix.

3. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

how much and no i did not install them myself

4. How you taken it back to the teck who installed them? That would be my first stop.

5. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

well i was a dumbass and posted an add on craigslists and the dude did an ok job but i would not bring my bass back to him

6. A wire came loose somewhere probably....also, sounds like your bridge isn't grounded which would explain the buzzing going away when you touch the strings.

7. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

is that the little wire underneath it

8. 982627

Aug 25, 2008
    Near Montreal
    I had the same problem a while ago...took one of my back up bass to a local repair shop, and to my surprise the guy totally ***ked up the electronics...Of course I realised it maybe like few months later. Pretty unuseful since then. Hope you'll have better luck than mate !

9. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    I'm having the same problem with my Jazz bass.
    I put Duncan 1/4 pounds in em..I've taken it to 2 different techs and it still has a grounding problem. I also replaced the stock bridge to a Badass II. But its been rewired several times!

I don't know whats going on...

10. You can replace the bridge all you want, but if they didn't ground the bridge then it is still going to make the buzz. It's a pretty easy fix. Although if you aren't comfortable drilling on your bass, take it to someone! Shouldn't cost too much.

11. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    well the bridge was put on before I took it to the techs...It has a solid wire going down that leads to the pots and its soldered solid.

What kind of holes are we gonna drill?

12. Rhino Rob

Rhino Rob

Apr 20, 2008
    Mid West

If you have access to a multimeter see if you get 0 ohms when you place one lead on the strings and one on the input jack nut. The coating on the bridge maybe preventing the ground wire from making contact. If so you need to sand off the finish where the wire touches on the underside of the bridge.

13. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

how much should it cost im on a budget

14. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    hmmmmm...great idea!
    There might be a coating...its the nickel colored one.
    I also thought about putting like tin foil or something beneath the bridge

15. Bump--
    Here's why:
    I have a grounding problem with my Artist; removed the bridge screws, gently lifted the bridge and discovered the ground wire was not soldered to the bridge, but sort of left there to be pressed into the wood by the bridge (IOW, no solder anywhere). Am I wrong in assuming the ground wire is supposed to be soldered to the bridge? FWIW, no one has mentioned that in this thread.

16. If your bridge is gold plated (or silver, or painted black), you may have to scrape off some of the plating on the back side of the bridge so that the wire is touching the metal of the bridge and not the plating.

If they soldered the wire to the bridge and it's plated, the solder may not stick to the plating and therefore, the wire comes loose.

Could also be a wire inside...a bad solder joint on a pot - take it to someone that can diagnose it and deal with the wires. There are all kinds of things that can happen when you stuff itty bitty wires into a cavity that's too small for all the good stuff you're putting in there.

Z