My bass is loud...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by proc83, May 3, 2005.

1. proc83

Jan 18, 2005
    So I'm jamming with my Bongo and my neighbor comes over really impolite-like and tells me how he avoided calling the cops for 2 months and he's tired of it...I need to invest in headphones etc etc... I basically told him to F off...and then I thought about it...could I really get busted at 6:00 PM for playing my bass semi loud? I live in an apartment complex so everyone's pretty close together...but I really dont wanna wear headphones while I'm jamming. :bassist:
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What volume do you play with the amp on? (its my old amp,remember ;))
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    You can get ticketed if you're playing too loud-more than likely thought the neighbor would file a complaint with apartment management, which would probably be worse for you. If you're playing by yourself in your apartment, you don't need earphones-just play quietly. Problem solved.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    You should go apologize, make up a story about not knowing that the sound travels that far/that loud, etc. and ask them if there is a time when they won't be around so you can play a little louder than usual.

If you can borrow a wireless, ask him if you can come over to his place and hear your amp while playing your bass in his place, or having a friend play it. Act surprised at how loud it is and grovel again (this really worked with some girls that lived above me in college :D ).

If he gets the land-lord after you you could get evicted...especially if the cops get called. There's probably something in your lease about it...

Be a good never know when you might need his help to jump start your car so you're not late to a gig or something...
  5. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    That was such a bad call dude. I agree you should apologize. Hearing people playing thier muisic loud in an Apt. Is the most annoying thing in the world. They/You are trying to watch tv. and all you hear is boom boom boom. It's enough to drive you freaking nuts. I work for an Apt. complex. I liked living their because of the convenience of not having to drive to work. But it gets old after a while. So this past jan. me and my wife bought a house where I can now crank it. :)

Anyway It's all about being respectful of your neighbors. And if you keep it up just get ready for your walking papers if more people start to complain. The cops really won't do anything until after 10:00pm.
  6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    It's true. Some day you'll be the crotchety old dude who doesn't want to hear his neighbor play guitar.

Thing is, low frequencies can travel through walls and ceiling/floors much farther than you think.
  7. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Not only that Aptment Wall are so thin anyway. Most of are apartments don't have Insolation between the walls.
  8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    And even if they do, the insulation between the walls doesn't do a whole heck of a lot for low frequencies. It's the airspace between the walls that's one of the biggest factors. But you're right, most run-of-the-mill apartment walls aren't built with noise reduction in mind.
  9. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    I read someware once were "T.M Stivens" not real sure on the name. He said that the reason he love playing bass is because before you even walk into a room the first thing you hear through the walls is the bass. :)
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've moved to practicing with headphones. But then I've also had the fun of taking the day off from work to go to court on a noise violation for playing. Oh yeah, and paying for not only court costs but a fine for it.

I've had the cops show up many times in various bands I've been in...usually they just ask to to turn down or stop for the night...but not always. In one 'practice warehouse' I used to rent, the cops showed up with the paddy wagon and rousted the whole place...and used it as an excuse to collect all the illegal paraphrenalia, etc. and ticket/arrest those who either owned said items or the matching consumables. They often threaten to confiscate your gear, but I have never had that happen. I never intend to let the cops warehouse any of my gear (imagine how they'd treat it!) if that's even legal.
  11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Exactly. Doesn't matter what your locals laws say about playing at 6pm. You can't make laws that cover every possible situation. It's got to come down to comon decency. I've lived with noisy neighbours, and I've probably been the noisy neighbour at times. The big picture is that sticking to your guns on this will only make things harder for you.

Either turn down, get headphones, or do what I did and get a place that allows me to make noise without annoying anybody else.
  12. My neighbours out in the country were great back. When I played my through my stack you could hear it across the street sometimes. I say again SOMETIMES. They had their loud days too. Everyone lived without problems and the community really looked out for eachother. But now soem of our neighbours have moved and our new neighbours are a pain. So I guess you should try to keep your current neighbours happy. It's like someone else said, you never know when you'll need a boost to get to a gig on time.
  13. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I had the same general type of issue in that I like to watch movies on my home theater, and I'm lucky to have a wicked 15" subwoofer that can wake the dead. Action movies always brought the neighbors out; nothing like a T. Rex stomp during Jurassic Park to get people wondering "What the heck was that?" :D :D I just couldn't get the system low enough and still hear the dialogue during quiet passages.

'course, I could invite them in to watch the movie sometimes, but . . .

The ultimate solution was moving into my own house. For about the same amount I was paying in rent, I'm now getting equity in the house through the mortgage. I have one room that's a dedicated home theater/practice room, which is dug into the ground/hill and surrounded on 3 sides by a concrete foundation. I can turn up my home theater and/or full bass cabinet stack to ungodly levels and no one can hear it but me. :D :bassist:

Down payment was pricey, though. :(
  14. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    When we rented our flat, the neighbours told us they ALLWAYS heard us ****! Even (the wife) told us they could hear me fart from time to time! it was certainly embarassing! Fortunately we bought a big parcel we're building our house in, 20km outside Madrid, in the fields! Now I won't inhibit my organic needs anymore!

15. One time my band was jamming outside at our drummers house and someone called the cops on us. We knew they were coming because a neighbor had one of those police radio scanners and he told us that they were heading out to our area for a noise complaint. So, we (ingeniously) took a bed sheet and threw it over the drum set, put the guitars inside, and turned the amps around facing the house. A few minutes later, we chuckled as a cop drove right past the house without even stopping to speak to us... :D