Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My bass is shocking me.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Whenever I rest on it when i'm not playing, ie, leave my hand over it between songs or something, it starts to shock me. It's a Modulus flea, and my amp is an Ampeg SVT5 through and ampeg cab. I'm thinking it could be a bad ground or a shoddy cable or anything. Any insight?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, sounds like a bad ground loop. Try a different circuit. This can be very dangerous.

3. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    is the floor that you're practicing on concrete? if it is... theres your problem... no chance for grounding.

4. Nah, it's a rug. Thanks trevorous, i'll try it a different one.

5. rebelbass

rebelbass

Feb 16, 2006
    New Jersey
    maybe you have fleas! all kidding aside go to someone who can solve your problem ASAP. Shocks and grounding problems are VERY SERIOUS. You can electricute yourself,or someone else! It's hard to diagnose without being hands on;worst case senerio...your amp is wired incorrectly and your ground failed. You touch your lead singer,who is holding his mic (&also has no ground AND is on a different circuit). You have now created a circuit between your hands to the tune of 220volts! Boom. I used to do pro sound (meaning LOTS of ac power!). I've had guys complain of "shocks" and measured 50 stray volts between their strings and vocal mike.And this is because they plugged into an outlet with one of those "2 to 3 prong adapters".

6. sometimes the sound that comes out of mine is pretty shocking....oh that's a different kind of shock....I think you got some pretty sound advice here, but that isn't a normal situation so be sure to get it fixed

7. I just noticed that it only happens when i'm using my powerbook. When I touch the laptop and the bass at the same time iget a shock. As i was typing the original post i had my bass in hand and laptop at the helm, zapping myself through the post. HM!!

8. britrit

britrit

Jan 22, 2006
    London
    That used to happen to me too, when I was using my squire. No problems now though.

9. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    I know what the problem is....(im so smart)
    Are you playing you bass plugged in?
    Are you using your powerbook with the ac addapter.. chances are that you are and chances are they they are plugged in at the same wall outlet...So get one of those Surge proctors or those power bars and plug them in to that. That should take the shocking away.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    My laptop did the same thing (it recently died of unrelated causes).