My bass is to heavy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barefootbob, Aug 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. barefootbob

barefootbob

Sep 12, 2011
    NorCal
    I currently have a Music Man Stingray 5 HH 5 string with a roasted maple neck. Beautiful bass and sounds great but this thing is killing me. I just weighed it and it's almost 11lb. I also have a Godin Freeway 5, also a nice bass but doesn't sound as good as my MM. That one weighs 10lb. I need a lighter bass, I'll be in the price range of about $1500 to $2000. Any suggestions? Also what I like about my Godin over the MM is the frets are smaller and not such a stretch. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

How about one of those straps that redistribute the weight?

3. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Try a Comfort Strapp.
    It's three inches wide and 3/8 thick.
    It'll help spread the weight out.
    I use one on my 13 lb bass. Comfort.

4. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Check out Lakland Skylines in the classifieds.

Sav'nBass and 4StringTheorist like this.
  5. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    This. I got one of these when I first started playing (not realizing what it was for, just seemed smart) and I still use it to this day on everything. My SUB Ray4 is right around 10-11 lbs and it works great. I also use it with my Aerodyne and it makes me feel like I have a super thin acoustic guitar strapped to me.

6. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I have 2 SR5s and I'd rather get a zillion inch wide strap than renounce to them. Every time I tried to go a different way I ended up either playing uncomfortably or lost in the mix. There's no real substitute for a SLO/CA Stingray5. After owning and trying A LOT of other stuff I just stopped looking elsewhere, I even have a Sterling5 HS (only some grams lighter) and it can't match the thickness and overall authority of my old trusty ceramic Ray 5ers (in fact I'm swapping that Sterling as soon as a Caprice5 is out and available 2nd hand). My Stingray5s are 4.5 and 4.6kg, 10lb.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    osonu, Badwater and Herrick like this.
  7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Sell 'em and buy something in the 8-8.5 lb range. I'm seeing a ton of stuff in the classifieds, both domestic and imports, that meet your requirements. Trade-off: may not sound like a MM. You can try a different strap but, IME, you end up with an 11 lb. bass and a really nice strap.

Riis

Inara, funkinbottom, tommyr01 and 4 others like this.
  8. barefootbob

barefootbob

Sep 12, 2011
    NorCal
    I have 3" straps for both basses but not a thick one like those. They distribute the weight better but I don't get sore in the shoulder and actually it's the muscles in my back. Sometimes I've actually just relaxed and change my posture and it goes away for a little bit. By the end of the show I'm hurting and getting grumpy. I've read about chambered basses but when I'm on the web sites and I see so many basses I'm lost and they don't post the weight.
    The MM is a great sounding bass, maybe I need a bunch of helium balloons tied to the bass to make it lighter. I can dress up like a clown, oh ya!!

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

funkinbottom and monsterthompson like this.
  10. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    Minneapolis
    It's better to spend $40 on a strap and keep a bass you enjoy than send $2000 on a slightly lighter bass.

11. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    To heavy, or not to heavy; that is the question.

12. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Sadowsky Metro 5

I have one that's a little out of your price range, but it's a featherweight at 8.4 lbs. I'm sure there are some available around 9lbs and under 2K used in the classifieds.

PS no strap will help. In fact, some big wide leather straps can add an extra pound themselves.

13. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
  14. Ash body warwicks are light and sound good. If you like the stingray and want something kind of similar but lighter id recommend looking for a used older ash body made in Germany Warwick FNA. Here's the one I had IMG_0122.JPG
    Better pictures of the same model IMG_3262.JPG IMG_3263.JPG
    I did a quick google search and saw a few listed for sale in the $1100-$1300 range.

It was my first really nice bass. I just had peavey, ibanez and a mim fender before that. I play a thumb NT6 now which is much heavier but we don't play four hour cover gigs or any of that. Most our our gigs are 30-45 minute sets and occasionally play an hour for special shows like album release shows. When we have long marathon practices I'll sit down Whenever I need to take weight off. If I was doing cover gigs where I had to play multiple sets over 4 hours I'd probably buy another FNA.

Btw here's my last stingray so I'm not suggesting the FNA out of thin air. I'm familiar with both. IMG_0167.JPG

As others have mentioned a good strap can help a lot. I know with a lot of basses I like to use dimarzio clock lock straps. The ones that feel like a seat belt in a car. For my 6 string thumb I use a really nice padded Levys strap.

barefootbob, Admiral Akbar and Helix like this.
  15. sbpark

sbpark Supporting Member

May 26, 2010
    Buy a gym membership. Keep the bass.

Linnin, osonu, gebass6 and 4 others like this.
  16. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    I'd look at an Ibanez. You can get a really nice one for around $1500, and they're nice and light. I have a 6er that weighs about 8.5 lbs. Of course, my Roscoe SKB5 weighs 7.5 lbs., but it was WAY more than $2000. You may be able to find a used Roscoe in the classifieds here in your price range. If so, JUMP on it!

17. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    What's the scale length on that Strat?

Abe-of-Bass, Aaron Mc, tzohn and 2 others like this.
  18. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
  19. sbpark

sbpark Supporting Member

May 26, 2010