1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My bass is too light

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bmb73, Jun 6, 2011.

1. bmb73

bmb73

Aug 7, 2010
    San Diego
    Hey,

I have a squier standard jazz, and it is an awfully light bass. It really does not feel "stable", if that makes any sense. Does anyone have any suggestions not including buying a new bass?

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Tape some fishing weights inside it.

3. bmb73

bmb73

Aug 7, 2010
    San Diego
    Good deal, I assume to just remove the pickguard and put them in the cavity? I am a noob so forgive me if it comes across like a dumb question.

Thanks!

4. Black Bart

Black Bart

Sep 11, 2010
    I think Joe Nerve might have been joking.

To be quite honest most of us here would not complain about a bass being to light. That said there is really nothing you can do to make it feel more solid, it is what it is.

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I think you should be pleased. Does it sound good?

Light basses are hard to come by.

6. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Exactly, lead fishing weights in the vicinity of the pickups. The magnetic qualities of the pickups should help hold them steady. :bag:

7. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    This might be the first time someone came onto TB to complain that their bass was too light!

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I was serious actually. I just bought some to try to alleviate some neckdive in my fenderbird but it only made the bass heavier.

9. Black Bart

Black Bart

Sep 11, 2010
    Lighter tuners?

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Light does not mean less sturdy. Lighter is more able to bounce rather then just slam crash. Aluminum is stronger and sturdier, then many metals, yet lighter then most. Tonka toy plastic is about as durable a substance as you can find, yet is extra light weight.

Weight added to help decrease neck dive has to be in the far back of the body as close to center as possible. Otherwise it doesnt provide any kind of balance counter. A lightweight stuffed animal toy hanging off the rear strap button if its center of body rear or higher. Will prevent neck dive better then a half pound of fish wights in the middle of the bodys mass. The end of the fulcrum you want to effect is at body rear center same as the line from end of headstock drawn thru body and out its rear. Or from on top of that line at the rear. The control cavity is also not far back enough and is actually on the wrong side (lower) of the body for most effect in weight adding. Its easier to raise the opposite side of a teeter totter from the far end, then it is closer to its middle.

11. I do exactly what Joe Nerve has stated, joking or not. My 2 basses in my sig felt a little light to me. I like heavy basses!
    I bought some lead fishing sinkers and Blutac'd(soft putty like material used for sticking posters on walls - not sure what it's called in the rest of the world!)them inside the control cavity.
    I do this for a number of reasons. Firstly I do like a bass to feel a little heavier. I know this doesn't affect tone or sustain, however it makes the bass "feel" right to me I guess is how I would justify it.
    Secondly I hold my bass very low, and typically most basses naturally hang a little too horizontal. Adding the weight naturally makes the neck sit up a little, enhancing the playing position so my left hand just has to fret, not hold the neck up.
    No if it is neck dive you are trying to combat you can do 2 more things that alter how a bass balances. If it is a standard Fender style instrument it will have the heavy clover shaped tuners. Hipshot make Ultralite tuners that do significantly weigh less but look the same.
    Secondly - typically the strap button at the bottom of the bass will be positioned in the centre of the body. If you dont mind a little hole being left you can move the strap button up 2 - 3 inches towards the top of the forearm contour (check pics of a Spector NS bass if you're not sure what I'm on about). This shifts the angle at which a bass naturally rests.

There's my 2c!

12. slaphappychappy

slaphappychappy

May 25, 2011
    to simplify, if it is not balanced, shift the strap buttons, if it tilts head first, move the rear one higher, if it falls arse first... actually, I've never had that happen.....
    Otherwise, tie a brick to it. I got sick of lugging fenders around stage and got a cort for the weight and modded the hell out of it. Now i dont feel like i am dragging a dead cow with me on stage. The other thing is, after a 3 hour set, not more neck cramps.

13. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I know exactly what you mean. I never could get comfortable enough with a headless bass I bought many years ago for the same reason, didn't seem to be enough mass hanging off the strap

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Try a wide suede leather strap. That will stabilize it without adding weight.

15. bunnykeeper

bunnykeeper

May 28, 2011
    Japan
    Try a heavy (high-mass) bridge? They're heavy and put the weight all the way at the bottom.

16. +1 to this as well!

17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    lightweight keys will make a bigger difference than anything else, since they have so much leverage out at the end of the neck.

18. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    adjust the height of your bass so that it is really rooted into your body/ribcage?