Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My bass is uglier than yours.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Can anybody here beat my bass in utter lack of aesthetic beauty?

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    This thing blows the pants of your bass in teh ugliness dept.!!!
    PS a paino was actually destroyed to make this!!

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    If you think it is ugly, I will gladly take it off your hands :)

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    wow, that is ugly...

5. beat this suckas

6. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    d00d!!!11!!!1!! sPoNgEbOb r0x0rs!1!!!!!!!!11!!

7. yeah. right.
    i much prefer the bass now; it's haad many additions since that pic. it has some great thundercats things on it; you can kinda see a few in that pic.

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    thundercats rule...i see butthead on there, too...you've got stuff from all the eras, man

9. the new music man wins the ugly contest hands down guys

10. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yes. Yes it does.

11. no!
    nothing beats my old hondo p-bass in bad looks!
    believe me! (too bad I have no pics!)

I bought it with a broken truss rod, $30 bucks at a music store (not a pawn shop) it was scratched to death and a trans purple colour. and tort Pguard. so I refinished it to black and I painted it with...spray paint! yes! then it looked even uglier, so I refined it natural and exposed it's 100 piece body! I then put it's pickguard on my 80's schecter bass, then I defretted it! so picture this.

pbass
    gross natural finish
    no pickguard exposing the worst routing job ever.
    and
    defretted.

like I said, I really wish I had pics so I could be the worst looking bass KING!

12. I think my first bass was pretty. Here's #2 so far.

[​IMG]

13. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Yeah, Yeah....... start the flames........ but what I wanna know is............... how do the "ugly" basses "SOUND?" ..... :)

14. basstriaxis, is that a peavy b quad?...if it is, I've played one before and loved it...and personally, I don't find it ugly....kind of "off the beaten path" beauty about it.I like the way both horns point in the same direction.kinda makes me think of a Linc Luthier bass."no paint,no plates,no plastic" was their sales pitch..anybody remember those??..bass player mag. did a review on one back in 92-93?.. if I remember correctly,they all loved it...once they got past the body style...BTW,I will soon be the proud owner(I hope\doubt no one buys it first) of a really butt-ugly,no-name, solidbody, violin shaped bass,and you will all bow down to me as the king of ugly basses:D

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

[​IMG]

You've been warned.

16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yup, a bastardized B-Quad. It is what I think of as an "almost great" bass. It was orginally purple with gold hardware, and I stripped the paint, replaced the electronics, changed the tuners, yanked the frets out and filled the slots with bondo. It has a very different tone that I love/hate, and it's a bit heavy and doesn't balance well. I want another good bass to replace it with, but I don't know what I'm going to get. I'm looking for the holy grail, and my limit is about $15,000. Seriously.

17. $15,000!!!!!:eek: ...with that much $ you can get ANY bass you want...BTW I have a bridge for sale. it connects Manhattan with Brooklyn..great tone and I'll let it go for $14,999;)

18. Thank GOD for my L2K.

19. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    Rickbass, what exaxtly are those pictures you posted?