1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my bass just elctrocuted me

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pappasgrind, May 19, 2011.


  1. Pappasgrind

    Pappasgrind

    Aug 13, 2009
    so im playing the thumb, loving it by the way, but suddenly i feel a weird sting on my forearm on the top of the frets. so i feel it down, no burrs, then i start playing again theni feel it again, only this time on my right arm on the bridge. i hold it there and again i feel it. im being electrocuted by the bass! thought it was funny then i realized its not and somthings wrong. then i stand up to show my dad and its not doing it any more. whats going on here?
     
  2. tdub0199

    tdub0199

    Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    bad ground...
     
  3. bad spelling...
     
  4. fenderhutz

    fenderhutz Supporting Member

    Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    [​IMG]
     
  5. JPSBassist

    JPSBassist

    Feb 10, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    I agree. Bad ground. Depending on the brand and if you have active or passive pups, you may have a ground wire running from your control cavity under your bridge. If this wire isn't making good contact you may be in for a shock. No pun intended. OK. Pun intended.

    Get your bass to a qualified service tech. You don't want to become the ground for your bass. It can be a bad thing.
     
  6. It was more like spelling police.

    Just saying... ;)
     
  7. Pappasgrind

    Pappasgrind

    Aug 13, 2009
    nice...

    but i looked it over and all the grounds were accounted for. the weird thing is when i sat up it didnt do it anymore. i was wondering if it was going to have wiring problems when i bought it, see how shes 16 years old and still has all her original parts. maybe i will upgrade everything after all, i just dont want the sound to change.
     
  8. wrong, you have a bad ground in your house, which means when you are plugged in, electricity is flowing in your ground, so you would not have gotten a shock if the wire was not making good contact. Please have the mains checked immediately.
     
  9. Pappasgrind

    Pappasgrind

    Aug 13, 2009
    hmm thats interesting man.....:eyebrow:
     
  10. Get one of those plug in wall socket ground testers and check your outlets.
     
  11. Pappasgrind

    Pappasgrind

    Aug 13, 2009
    good thing my buddy is an electrician
     
  12. AmadeusXeno

    AmadeusXeno

    Mar 8, 2011
    Maine
    I used to get shocked when I had my fender bassman amp. It was from 68 and had no ground prong. I had no problem if I was wearing shoes but if I didn't have them on I would get shocked trying to touch the power switch or even the strings of my bass.
     
  13. Some TBers are too young to remember the on-stage electrocution of Les Harvey (Stone the Crows guitarist):
    Leslie Harvey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Sufficient current taking the shortcut to ground through your body can kill you. Don't procrastinate fixing wiring problems. Always carry and use an outlet tester. Get a Volt-Ohm-Meter (VOM) or Digital Volt Meter (DVM) and measure the voltage from your strings and control plate to microphones and their stands. It should be zero (or very close).
     
  14. Should have one of these or the type of surge protectors that have ground indicators in every gig bag.
     
  15. LSquared

    LSquared

    Jul 28, 2009
    SW Illinois USA
  16. wideload

    wideload

    Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    Noticed that the dictionary link for electrocution has a link to DHGate, known for selling third world knock-off instruments of questionable quality. Interesting...
     
  17. Eric Moesle

    Eric Moesle Supporting Member

    Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Back in the late 80's I saw a guitarist on stage doing soundcheck with a hand on his microphone doing just fine, but when he took his other hand and touched his guitar strings . . . WHAM! A shock that knocked him backwards about 10 feet. His heart stopped, ambulance was called and luckily revived him. He nearly died.

    Turns out the power to the PA and the power to the guitar amp were fine individually, but when linked the one that was wired incorrectly formed the guitarist as the ground between the two sources.

    You only get one life. Get your wiring checked and NO EXCUSES.
     
  18. Pappasgrind

    Pappasgrind

    Aug 13, 2009
    thanks everyone for their input (wah wah) ive checked all my wires and plugs and nothings out of the ordinary which means somethings out of the ordinary. by the way elctrocuted is how we spell it on my side of the mountain. turds.
     
  19. Polish me.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.