Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Bass Neck Smells TERRIBLE! HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ETEcarmine, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ETEcarmine

ETEcarmine

Jun 29, 2005
    NYC
    I just bought a brand new, out of the box Music Man Stingray 5. I love this bass. I've had it for a week now, and I just took it out of my case, and the neck smells really bad. It's a very sharp smell, kinda smells like soaking wet rotting wood. But the neck has not been exposed to any harsh conditions at all and it looks and feels great. Anyone know what can be wrong, and if so, what can I do?

Thanks!

Carmine

2. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    lower your strap! :D

3. have you showered lately? sure its the basses neck? :D

4. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    my MM had a bit of a pong to it when it was new.. but nothing like you mention.. are you sure it's not the case itself?

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Leave your bass out of the case for a while (like a number of days) in a well ventilated area. Lots of finishes (including nitro, some poly types and some oils) take a while to 'gas out'.

6. :D LOL.

I just got one a week ago. and no funky smells...

after "ventilating" it for a while,try putting some lemon oil on the fretboard (just a little.) :meh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.