Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My bass progress pics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jun 17, 2004.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Well i managed to take a few photos of my bass that im making in my woodwork class today. She isnt anything special, but to me she is :D

Ive just finished cutting out the body, and while i wait for my neck from warmoth, im going to smoothen the edges and so forth.

The first one is the body with the bridge just sitting on it. Its a cheap bridge that i got off ebay, but the strings will be thru the body.

The body wood is 3 pieces of Australian Silky Oak/Lace Wood. the first picture shows where the pup will go, but the body isnt fully cut out. ive left a big slab on it so that i have some extra wood to play with when i finally get the neck, but you can see where the shape of the bass goes..just :D.

The second picture shows the body and the MDF template i used to cut it out.

2. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    The 1st picture here shows the back edge of the bass. I routed it out with a bevelled router bit, then smoothed it over with some hand sanding. In this picture you can see some of the 'reptilian' end grain that silky oak is renound for.

The second shot is the body with a little bit of water showing what the bass will look like when finished.

Im not sure if this is unusual, but ive fallen in love with this piece of wood. Ill post some more pics of the neck when i get it. :D

Cheers!
    -Kirbo

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Looking good Kirby!

4. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
  5. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Looking very nice, Kirbs. I like the body shape.

Where'd you end up sourcing the wood? What are the specs on the Warmoth neck?

6. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I got the wood from a timber yard around here, i think the place was called Allans Timber Yard, and its around Vermont area.

It cost me about $60 for a piece 1.5 metres long, about 25cm wide and 7cm deep. I have no idea what the specs on the warmoth neck are, thats why im leaving the neck pocket area un touched untill i get it. i know it a 34 inch neck, it'll have a pau/pao ferro fretboard, no face dots, only side dots, and a peghead headstock so i can cut out my own head design.

Oh yeah, what sorta head design do you guys think will go good with the body shape? i wanna lean right away from the p-bass & jazz-bass look.

7. Looks nice:) nice body, just some more work on the edges, keep us informed :)