1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My bass rebuild / graphic project.. Tribute to Robbin Crosby.. Done!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanBass, Jun 29, 2014.

1. DanBass

DanBass Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    image. image. image. image. image. image. image. image.
    I realized I never shared this with my TB brethren!

So, I wanted to pay tribute to Mr. Crosby so, I bought the body, neck, and every part, piece by piece of this Charvel 1B bass. My niece's boyfriend is a talented tattoo artist and I asked him to do something for me. I wanted to replicate the graphics on Robbin's 88 Jackson Catfish Firebird onto this bass body.. The original work was done by Robbin's good friend and artist, "Mad" Marc Rude. Very distinctive. I realize the shapes are different and it is a style departure for him, I said to do his best. I am thrilled with the results. The kid is 21! If you are familiar with Rude's work, you'll see that he nailed it.

You'll see the original black, sanded and prepped.. It was primed, then pearl, art done with sharpie first, followed by paint, the four coats of clear.

Here are a few pics of the varied stages, also a pic of Robbin's Firebird used as inspiration. All I need to do is put it all together! That is for another forum, as I do have a few questions.. Thanks!

Jim Nazium likes this.
  2. Nice! I like that.

3. Those graphics are really cool. Is there a stash spot in the headstock for some smack?