Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My bass seems to be playing quieter these days....help?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flyingcowofdoom, Mar 25, 2001.

1. flyingcowofdoom

flyingcowofdoom

Nov 20, 2000
    NJ, USA
    I got an Ibanez bass starter kit for christmas last year. I'm doing really great on it, but it's weird, cause it seems to be playing a lot quieter lately. It isn't my amp, cause I've tried different amps. Any ideas on what it could be?

TIA

--FCOD

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Is it an active bass, with a battery inside? Perhaps it needs to be changed?

3. flyingcowofdoom

flyingcowofdoom

Nov 20, 2000
    NJ, USA
    I don't think it is. I didn't see a battery when I took the back plate off.

--FCOD

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Maybe you just need to put on new strings.
    Old strings sound dull wich may make them appear being more quiet than new strings with their brilliance and snap.
    Maybe that's what you're noticing.

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Have you changed string brands?? Some are louder than others.

6. flyingcowofdoom

flyingcowofdoom

Nov 20, 2000
    NJ, USA
    No, I haven't changed the strings at all. I will try to get new strings tomorrow and see if that helps. Thanks!

--FCOD

7. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I was just asking if you had changed strings, which may have affected output. I don't think that it will have any effect if you haven't, nor would a recommend a change if you expectation is that it will resolve the problem.

8. orgystitches

orgystitches

Mar 25, 2001
    USA, Florida
    I have 3 ibanez ergodynes (600, 605, and a 705) and i imagine their insides are similar. There should be a 9 volt battery inside the back panel. if you cant find it... like the others said, change strings. you should change strings every month and a half or so to maintain good tone. the strings are constantly streching, and when they get streched out enough, they become "dead" and you will not get good tone out of them, making them quiet. well, i hope i helped...good luck