1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My bass shocked me!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ReverseFender94, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Here's one of the worst/funniest things that's ever happened to me during a gig:

Last night I was playing at my high school's holiday concert. We were playing in the auditorium that was decorated with strings of Christmas lights. For the first hour of the show, I was sing violently shocked every time i touched a piece of metal on my bass, strings included. Every note sense burning pains through my hands.

My first thought was faulty power, so I plugged into a different outlet. No change. I then realized that it wasn't just my bass, it was any electric stringed instrument in the band. To make it even worse, no one else was having this problem, and no one believed me!

After an hour of that, my fingertips were fried. Only then, I realized that the metal chair I was sitting it was resting on the string of lights, which were shorting through the chair, into me.

Now I'm having trouble trusting any metal chair.

2. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Newark,De.
    Hence the name, Electric Bass!

3. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    They can be sneaky....

;)

4. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Most successful people can outsmart the office equipment.

5. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

When you receive a shock, it's best to stop immediately until the problem is found.

The alternative can often be a trip to the morgue.

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Congratulations on your tenacity.

You do know that the whole "the show Must go on" garbage is garbage when it comes to personal well being and life safety....right?

7. BassAlchemy

BassAlchemy

Nov 2, 2011
    ^^This. Electricity is no joke. I am always nervous when I get to venues and see their outlets are a scary mess.

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

You need to tell the school that something may be dangerously wrong with the wiring of their stage outlets. It's not hard for them to test or fix the problem.

9. cracked_machine

cracked_machine

Jan 8, 2010
    Bristol
    Hmm I heard the same reply from the pikey thief who kept tryng to steal the same electrified roll of copper wire.

well that's more like it.

10. Ouch why didn't you just stop playing? And when the instructed came up to you to say something, tell him or her to sit there and try it. Electricity is nothing to play with there is a reason the electrician shuts off the power to you home just to work on a outlet. A sustained electric shock from AC at 120 V, 60 Hz is an especially dangerous source of ventricular fibrillation because it usually exceeds the let-go threshold, while not delivering enough initial energy to propel the person away from the source. However, the potential seriousness of the shock depends on paths through the body that the currents take.[2] Death caused by an electric shock is called electrocution. Are you scared now? You should be!

11. I'm glad you're OK. Now, please don't do that again.

12. Sorry but... what on earth were you thinking???
    No show is worth the risk. If the electrics are not good, I don't play. End of discussion.
    This is another reason I love my wireless. It physically isolates you from the mains. Worth considering...

13. +1

Sounds like a bad/missing electrical ground (probably a very old wiring system).

14. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    Did sombody steal the rubber feet normally attached to the legs of metal chairs?

15. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Dude! I would have stopped and starting looking around at everything on stage. Of course, I'm much older, so you'll learn this as you go along in life - not to sacrifice yourself for the sake of others (unless you're in a war or a major catastrophe).

But why does a teenager sit in a chair and play bass? Was this a band or an orchestra? You're young - stand and rock it!

16. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    +1. And giving yourself electroshock therapy is never a good idea.

17. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    first rule. feel shock - stop and figure out why. no metal chairs , at least seat cushion....

one of the reasons i always bring one active self grounding bass (EMG'S, ALEMBIC) to any unknown venue just for this reason.

as an ex staten islander i can't resist - is your hair standing up like Situation's?

18. This was an orchestra. I had to sit. I'm usually all over the place in my band!

19. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    At certain venues I get shocked in the face when I try and play bass and sing. Which is why we bring our own mics and we spraypaint the metal screens and that seems to prevent the shock from the mics.

20. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    Ouch. I am too much of a baby to take shocks like that. I've not yet encountered any electrical shock moments in my life, even besides bass playing shocks. Seems unsafe.