My bass shopping experience

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nataku, Jul 11, 2005.

1. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    this last weekend i was in vegas for a wedding, and visited ed romans. although i hated the shop for several different reasons :rollno: , ill go into only one here.

i got to play my "dream" bass, a green 4 string bolin. id rather have a blue, but color doesnt affect sound, so whatever. it felt awesome, but plugged in, it didnt sound that great. pretty much sounded like the opposite of what i want my basses to sound like (not to diss bolins or anything, theyre very sexah). i was very dissapointed...

but i also got to play an MIA fender p, and fell in love with that. it was $600ish, and looked used, but the guy couldnt tell me if it was used or just screwed up, so i didnt get it. i had also made a thread here in the past about a fender 91 pj bass that i wanted to get, and have now decided to get it (when i can afford it).

has anyone else, had experiences like this, where they thought they would love one bass, but fell in love with another? or had a dream bass that didnt live up to expectations?
  2. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I'm not sure how to connect these facts. 1 - you didn't like the sound of the Bolin. 2 - a MIA P-bass for has to be used at that price, so evaluate it on condition. 3 - it was somehow a bad experience with the music dealership? :confused:

I'm no Roman apologist, but, I can't see the connection here.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's good when you don't like a bass. That means you can put your wallet back in your pocket. :hyper:
  4. verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    Fell in love with Lakland looks and the marketing was really slick played one and couldn't give it back to the sales guy fast enough Did the same with Pedulla Thunder , and Modulus,and Spector. Got the best MIA jazz and it's one of four basses MIM jazz , Warwick Thumb B.O. and a jazz stingray hybrid fretless that a local luthier built that is the Berries :hyper:

If the Future Is Now??????
    What Was Yesterday??
  5. yeah, i played a modulus flea and i wasn't horribly impressed for the price.
    actually i had a similar and somewhat related experiance at a pawn shop just the other day. i went in hoping to find maybe a vintage fender or something really cool, and yet i found a sparta jazz bass copy black with black pg with a rosewood neck and block inlays. it was only 150! of course i had to talk myself out of it, since i have no money, and i am starting to get into 6 string basses more anyways.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think sb69coupe has point. Your bad experience has nothing to do with Ed Roman's store. His name should have been left out of your post. Roman has a bad rep around here, but it is not his fault if you don't like a bass.
  7. +1

who can we count on to be fair, if we're not fair ourselves?
  8. Well, the title of the thread sure got my attention. You got my hopes up for nothing!

The first thing I do when I see an Ed Roman thread is check to see if it's locked, which is what inevitably happens. You have to be careful when mentioning his name, it gets everyone all worked up.
  9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1 I read the title and thought "..oh boy". Not from what it might ignite, but from the "Well yea..." comments that it brought to my mind. Saying you had a bad experience at Ed Roman's is like telling people that you were surprised that you got a sunburn in hell. :D
  10. :D Heh heh, people have been burned by Ed Roman.

I have to agree that in this case, Ed is not to blame. It happens often that an instrument catches your eye, you WANT to like it, but then the reality is way different. Then the opposite happens, you play something you hadn't considered and it wows you (and if it costs less than you'd budgeted for, bonus! :hyper: ). So it balances out in the end.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ordinarily I would dis you and call you names like doodoo for not getting your tone out of Laklands and Pedullas. But I own four Fenders, and have to say that none of my exotics hit the Fender nail on the head. My Am Jazz 5 QMT gets as much gig time as any of my exotics because of the sound. It sounds like you're just a Fender guy, so I'm going to let you off the hook this time.

That said, my Laklands have the best neck, followed closely by my Sadowsky. They play themselves. My Fenders require input from me.
  12. lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I had a bad experience with a Foderra at Ruby's in New York:

I grabbed a Monark Deluxe bass too fast and I hit myself in the eye with a tuning key . . . couldn't see a thing for two minutes!

When I finally got my vision back, I quickly saw the $4,500 price tag and the salesperson yelled at me: "Hey! Are you getting this thing or what?" Then I plugged it in and it sounded worst than an Esexs prototype!

I had a bad experience with a Foderra at Ruby's in New York.

Disclaimer: The previous story is fictional, for entertaiment purposes only.
  13. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    My experience was just the opposite, ignored the Laklands and that oval bridge, had to have a Fender. Finally tried a Lakie just floored and bought it. Great basses!
  14. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Come on! It's all in the marketing! The thread title got you to read the thread. Ever hear the story of PT Barnum's museum with the big fancy "This Way to the Egress" sign which got people's attention, but it was only the sign for the exit?

Would you have read the thread if the title was "Played a Bolin, wasn't happy"? I wouldn't have read it. ;)
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The same has been true for my exotics, even the Fender clones.

My Sadowsky neck feels sexier due to the satin nitro finish and rounded fret-ends and fretboard edges, but my thumb feels better on the asymmetrical profile of the Fender RB5. So I call it a toss-up.

The most comfy neck I've ever played is MTD 535.
  16. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Some Foderas and Smiths didn't quite sound as good as I thought a real expensive bass should. Well....the smith had a real nice tone by itslef, but it was useless with other people. Also played a Kinal that I did not like too much. But that was cause of the Seymours in them.

With all three brands, I found those to be the minority of the bunch. Also had a Conklin that I had no interest in, but I have played some that do rock.
  17. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    i made the topic with that title for several reasons

-its where it happened
    -i wanted to bring up that i was unsatisfied with my experience there for other reasons, but not to start a flame war
    -i knew it would get way more responses that way
  18. Hmmm... I'm not an Ed Roman sympathiser either, but I'll bet more than one casual browser will see your thread title and come to the wrong conclusion. It's pretty unfair IMHO.
  19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Just like email spammers. Isn't that special.

Title changed.
  20. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Unless I am missing something, I fail to see where you refer to the 'other reasons'.