Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My bass situation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vince S., Nov 22, 2003.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Hey all

Recently Ive made a few threads regarding getting a new bass. However, I cannot afford a new higher end one right, and my band is going to start gigging in a couple of weeks.

Do you think I should just stick with my current bass (a Hamer Slammer in really bad condition), or buy an Essex? Ive heard nothing but good reviews about this bass, and I can actually afford it. Should I get the SX and then eventually get a new, higher end bass down the road when I have more experience? Or should I wait and save up for a high end bass now. Ive only been playing about a year.

Thanks alot in advance for all the input, especially to the guys who responded to all my "should I get..." threads.

2. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Hmm, that's a tough one..

here is what I would recommend... go play an Essex... if while playing it (or afterwards) you feel that it will enable you to make better progress in your playing, then I would recommend buying it. If, on the other hand, it doesn't feel much different than your current bass and you don't feel like it will help you play better than your current bass already allows you to do, then I would recommend holding off until you find a bass that has "that feeling"...

I only say this because a friend of mine has this old Samick bass with super high action and I hate playing it (when I go visit him I usually pick it up and play it a bit)... anyways, that Samick compared to my Squier Affinity is like black compared to white...

If your Hamer bass is anything like that Samick then I would assume that playing the Essex (or as per my example, a Sqiuer Affinty) will allow you to play much better and would therefore be benificial to you in that you will probably make alot of progress really fast. You don't need a high end bass, you just need a bass that will work for you. If you current bass is holding you back, find one that won't, regardless as to whether or not it is "high-end."

I hope that made sence, and good luck with your decision.

3. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia

I agree completely. You just need to find a base that feels right...now if that bass is a "high-end" one so be it, but don't settle for something that doesn't feel right to you.

4. unless he lives by rondomusic he is not going to be able to play one before he buys once since they are the only ones who carry them. what exactly is your budget. if you can only spend under $200 then go ahead for the SX, it is pretty much your only good choice. from what I have heard they are pretty solid and play well. it is easy to put better pickups in there once you get up a little more cash.

if your hammer sounds good then I would not have a problem using it, but if it sounds and plays bad then would go for the SX

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Alternatively, go to a music store and play everything in your price range. Squires, Yamahas, and Ibanez to name but a few. Then decide what you need or want. Noname gave you some great advice. Apply it to the music store.

Dan

6. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Thanks alot for the responses.

My budget is $200 as of right now. I'll go check out Guitar Center tomorrow, and if they dont have what I want I think I ll take a risk and order the Essex.

Again, thanks alot for the advice.

7. When you buy an Essex,everybody wins:)