My Bass sounds like poo loud

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bass of Galt, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    So I've been mostly a studio rat for the past several years - recording my Carvin LB75 (hi-C) direct out of an Eden WT-500 and happy with the tone.

I grabbed a used SWR Super Redhead recently to play some gigs and jam with others and all of the sudden my bass sounds like crap!

Actually it sounds okayjust very boomy and . . well. . . bassy! But all the tight and warm midrangy over articulated Rocco staccto flim flamy ghosted note syncopatory whatchamajaculate that sounded so great and clear in the studio sounds like mud at worst and rolls of woofer hogging thunder live and loud! Sure the notes are loud and shake the place - but play them too close together and they blend together.

I'm outraged I tell ya! ;)

I've tried eq and I even plugged the Eden into the SWR cab and it sounds a little better but alas - not my nice juicy studio tone I've come WAAAAAAAAAAY to used to. (BTW -there's no compression or pre-amps I'm using in the studio to account for the tonal difference)

I used to be able to tolerate my Carvin - now I hate it. At least I have a 535 on order.

mmmmmm 535! :D

If this is in the wrong forum please excuse me - i guess it involves everything from the player - to the bass to the amp so i didn't know where to put it. Soft and in studio bass sounds good - loud and live anywhere else - crap.

What's a spoiled studio rat to do? :meh:
  2. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I know zip about Carvins, but my first thought was:

a. more power!
    b. score a 4-10 cab.

Everything sounds better through a really scary high power amp (the Sunn 1200S comes to mind, mostly because I own and love one). Headroom is good for articulation, and then the tens translate that into tight tone. I sometimes kick in a 1-15 just for fun.
  3. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    +1. Power is good. Try a different amp. Also, are you talkign about your onstage sound or what the house hears or what? You may need to tweak a lot of your bass/amp settings around. A compressor might help too.
  4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i agree, more power!

i had an Eden rig for a while. sounded great for my low volume jazz gigs.

but, when i got in a punk/jazz band (very loud), the thing just fell apart!!!

i even added another cab to get the ohm load down to 4.

i went with a pre/power/cab setup.

2400 watts into my 212 bergie, 1500 into my 112 bergie.

best sound i've ever owned!

5. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    2400 WATTS!!!!

Sweet mother of . . . .er nevermind. :smug:

Somehow I knew the solution would rest in the aquisition of more gear.

I've been thinking of the pre/pwr/cab route. Anyone wanna buy and Eden? HA!

Thanks folks!
  6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA

power really is the key.

as i've said before, it is not the power you have, it is the power you have left.

aka: headroom.

don't make your rig strain.

would you take a Yugo up the Sierra Mountains? she'd be wound full tilt the whole way. and you'll get exhausted worrying if it'll blow up or not. same thing with your gear, if its straining, you will get worn out from worrying and overcompensating with your playing, and...

it will sound that way.

7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    But my Eden sounded fine. Course, I was pushing a kilowatt into two 410XLTs, so I figure they're bound to sound fine. :D
  8. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Maybe the SWR? I had to play my old jazz bass thru a SWR 350 one time and I just about destroyed it. FLAT sound, no definition,, couldn't cut thru the drums or guitar.

I know many people whine about Carvin's tone, but I've always been quite pleased with mine??!!
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Try re-equing.

In live situations you often have to re-EQ to deal with the acoustics of the room which can cause boominess.

I recommend a healthy dose of mids.

If you still arent satisfied try some nice flat response cabs with the Eden head.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Whoops! Sorry, guys - I meant to pitch this to Amps, but I got confused with another thread I was moving.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

When i was test driving the Carvin the thing that i really noticed is their are very low out put so turn it up.