1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My bass started "farting" last night!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. Planet Boulder

    Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

    Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.

    So I have this custom-made beaut that features an 18-volt Basstec onboard pre and all I did was change the batteries. Upon plugging her in and playing her last night, I noticed some static and slight "popping". Did some moderate to heavy slapping and, eventually, it started "farting" (loudly!), even when just doing fingerstyle plucking.

    It wasn't the amp and it wasn't a matter of clipping as I checked the levels and tried it out on different amps - all with identical results.

    This is the first time ANYTHING like this has happened with this bass. Like I said, all I did was change the two 9-volts.

    Any ideas? :help:
  2. Scott D

    Scott D

    Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Maybe try another set of 9V's. I've had a few bad 9V's here and there. One actually made my bass feedback!?
  3. JMX

    JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

    Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Sounds like bad (aka empty) batteries.
  4. Planet Boulder

    Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

    Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    That's bizarre because I changed the batteries after the other two went dead, however the old ones didn't cause this problem.

    By the way - thanks, folks! :)
  5. RicPlaya


    Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten

  6. you sure you didn't take the bad ones out then accidentally put them back in and toss the good ones? Its been known to happen
  7. JJd2sc


    Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    To see if a 9volt is still charged, take it and touch it to your tounge. No joke, dosent hurt, just sorta zaps your tounge.
  8. si_mon13


    Sep 1, 2003
    actually that can cause death. so i wouldn't recommend you too, test it with a multimeter or with a little piece of metal wire.
  9. chucko58


    Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    If licking a 9 volt battery could kill you, a lot of the guitarists I've worked with would be dead!

    I suspect it's dead new batteries that caused the "farting". I prefer to use batteries with a "use-by" date stamped right on the battery for just this reason.
  10. I should be dead a couple times...? :confused:
  11. Mike N

    Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

    Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Be sure the batteries are clipped tighty to the electrical connectors, and look to see if the wires may have come loose within the connectors. Those wires arent very thick to begin with, and it doesnt take much to loosen or break them right off.

    Also, you mentioned you tried different amps, did you try a different cord, too?
  12. 9V batteries cannot source enough current to be lethal, however i have burned my tongue by testing a fresh one that way. i was shocked when it happened.

    they're not as harmless as you might think. using a multimeter is a much safer test than the tongue test.

  13. HeavyDuty

    HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

    Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  14. pshift


    May 30, 2003
    Downstate NY
    Check to see if the new batteries are dead. On another forum, bulk purchases of 9V batteries have found that they were actually charged to a little less than 8 volts, straight out of the box. This was a bulk purchase made at a wholesale store.

    I generally wait until the local drugstore or supermarket has them on sale and then I stock up on individual packs.
  15. just a little to add to the licking thing...

    if you do do this, do it with the RIGHT SIDE of your tongue...

    sounds odd, I know. but it's the same if you ever had to touch a fence you might not be to sure about... use your right hand!
  16. Giraffe

    Giraffe Supporting Member

    Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, California
    Sometimes the little female connectors on the battery or on the bass-side terminal get stretched out and you get intermittent contact. This will produce the problem you describe. Weak batteries usually won't do it. Sometimes when we think we are just changing batteries, we move things around, especially when the batteries share the control compartment with the pre- and pots. This can cause grounding problems, especially if the cavity is shielded with foil. The most likely culprit is the stupid little thing that clips to the top of the battery.
  17. That has to be the funniest posts I have ever read here at TB...........a 9volt battery doesn't put out enough current to kill anyone......go to google and do a search with Licking a 9 volt battery and see what comes up.........maybe we should send this one to the Myth Buster guys?

    Check out this POLL


Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.